Friday, February 29, 2008

Weight Loss Paradox

I have started reading Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" again, and I am starting to think that doing the low calorie diet is no longer going to work for me. It's been almost a year that I have been about the same weight - I had gained a little and now I am back to approaching that 170 pound threshhold. I got under 170 pounds exactly twice in the last year, and then right back up. Working out, WW and calorie counting in SparkPeople is just not doing it for me.

So I am going to try something new. It can't hurt. I have all the time in the world to lose the fat, as long as I eventually do it, right? My calculated BMR is about 1550 calories a day, and my activity level bumps my daily maintenance goal to about 2400 calories a day. If I were to remove 500 calories a day for a weight loss goal of 1 pound a week, that gives me 1900 calories to eat a day. If I did a modest calorie reduction of 20%, it's about the same number. The other thing I am going to do is give myself a "cheat" every four days bringing my calories up to maintenance.

This all sounds counter intuitive, but take last week versus this week. Last week I only went over my SparkPeople calorie goal once, and then the rest of the week I was well under the top of my goal (which incidentally is about 1800). I lost nothing. This week I was on Vacation and had three HIGH calorie days (2200 cals a day or so) and then was within my calorie goals but at the high end of my range, and I lost a pound. I also didn't exercise like I should have this week compared to a great week of exercise last week. I think there might be something to this. Plus the fact that I am not always starving. So I'm willing to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!