Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A few words on Motivation

If you want to do it, you need motivation. Plain and simple. Talking about it won't get you there, nor will popping a pill. Nor will showing up and doing it half-assed. You need motivation to not only push you there, but push out of your comfort zone.

The motivation I had 2.5 years ago when I looked at myself and said "Yuck - I'm FAT!" was mostly internal. I didn't really have a goal, I didn't really have anyone doing it with me. I just did it. I don't even know how I kept it up! I just did. There wasn't an option to quit.

Since I lost 38 pounds, my motivation has ebbed and flowed, but I think it's coming back in full force. Now it comes not only from an internal desire, but also external - a looming 1/2 marathon race, a new fitness toy, and people around me that are motivating.

There are also people around me that are less than motivating. I am sorry to say I don't have a lot of patience for people who constantly use excuses to explain away their lack of motivation. These are the people who talk about it a lot, but don't take any steps to do anything about it. I have known tons of people who say they hate exercise and want to lose weight without it. Well, I have news for you. Love it or hate it, you will never have permanent, healthy or attractive weight loss without execise. Sorry, that's the truth. You can eat low fat and low carb, live on carrot sticks the rest of your life, and you will never be truly healthy or as hot as a fitness model. Have you ever seen a skinny fat person with no butt and no curves? I rest my case.

Last, going through the motions at the gym doesn't do anything for you either. You need weights to help at least maintain muscle mass. And if you do cardio, you need to push yourself. If it's easy to talk, it's too easy. If you aren't sweating, it's too easy. That's just the way it is. And just because a particular piece of equipment says you burned 700 calories, doesn't mean you have.

You need to be conscious of what you eat. Not just think you're within a calorie target - you need to WRITE IT DOWN. There are tons of hidden calories in everything. Estimate best you can when you eat out, but overestimate if you're unsure. Restaurants hide a lot of fat in food - I know because I work at one.

If you don't put your health and fitness in a priority position, then you only have yourself to blame. Sorry for the harsh words, but it's tough love, baby. You can either work to better yourself, or you can stay the same. It's up to you.

3 comments:

  1. you are right on about needing motivation. It is so true. I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, lets run this week! Want to do 4 miles? Maybe tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should post this on spark yo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!