Saturday, November 1, 2008

Running for Charity

Now that I have one race under my belt, I am stoked to run another. In fact, I am already training for the Surf City Half as part of the California Dreamin' series. But one thing keeps sticking in my mind. A very close friend of the family recent found out her young daughter has leukemia, and it makes me sad. She has a really good chance of getting through it, but what a burden on a family with two small children, and what an ordeal for a 4 year old little girl. I want to run something in her honor - I just don't know what yet.

My first thought was to run with Team in Training. I had a group of friends that trained with them a year ago, and then recently met a woman who trained with them for Long Beach. Unfortunately, my friends had a very POOR experience with my local chapter. The woman I met had a GREAT experience, but her chapter is a good 30-35 miles away from where I live, and with the price of gas.... I also don't have a lot of spare time with the amount of hours I currently work, and the fact that there is a fundraising minimum is a little scary, especially when you have to ante up if you don't hit it.

I thought about just going to an info session, since I probably wouldn't want to join until Spring for a Fall Race, and see how it goes. Although I have heard that nothing has really changed in my local chapter. So I don't know what to do, and I wondered if any of my blog readers (I think I have some of those? haha) had an idea or knows of something that I haven't considered. Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! You do not know me, but I stumbled across your blog. While I can't make the decision for you on whether or not you run with Team in Training to raise funds, I think you should at least check out the local information meeting. I ran my last race with TNT (and I'm currently on a team in San Diego) -- and it was amazing. I have a good friend in the Greater LA chapter who lives in Long Beach, and she's having a great experience with it, too. I am also a leukemia survivor...friends ran on my behalf when I was in the hospital, and it's great to be out there running with them on the team now raising funds to fight blood cancers. Honestly? I am truly appreciative you're even thinking about doing such a wonderful thing for your neighbor, regarding of whether or not you do it. Anyways, I know you don't know me, and hence, my opinion probably doesn't matter -- but as an OC-born-and-raised girl that I am,and a leuk survivor...I say "go for it!" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!