Thursday, January 29, 2009

Focus on the Positive

I was brought up by a pessimist, who was brought up by an even bigger pessimist. Therefore, I can't help leaning towards pessimism. At least the pessimism has faded through the generations. I can remember getting angry at my mom for being so negative, and I can't even be around my grandmother - she is a prime example of negativity attracting negativity. And yet my husband gets angry with me for being negative. I don't want to be negative, especially in this down time in our country.

So herein lies the experiment. I am going to try and spend a few minutes each day to jot down things that I am thankful for, things that make me happy and positive. And I thought I would share my first list with you.

1. H and I are are generally healthy and we are both thankful for that
2. H and I are very much still in love, no matter how much I complain about him :oP
3. I have a job that provides great perks, pays well, and provides better than average benefits
4. I have two beautiful dogs that are both well behaved and easy to take care of love
5. I have awesome friends that are funny and supportive and understanding
6. I have some amazing family members, both on my side as well as H's
7. I have colleagues in my industry who I trust and respect, and they trust and respect me as well
8. I possess a quirky sense of humor that allows me to see the funny in almost everything, including the horrific
9. I am a strong person and can withstand anything life can throw at me, mentally AND emotionally
10. I have goals, and will achieve them, no matter how long it may take

Not sure how that was for a list of positive, and I'm not sure if it made me feel better. Maybe next time I should focus on the positives of my job.

3 comments:

  1. It is great that you can maintain this perspective.
    I am also a natural pessimist, I am working on it : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great list of positive.

    Yaaaaaaaaaaaay, positive!

    *barf*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of you as a negative or pessimistic person, A. Never. That's why I love hanging out with you. So you can add that to your list if you'd like - that people love hanging out with you because you are an awesome friend to spend time with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!