Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

2008 was not a bad year. In fact, there were some major highlights - meeting a bunch of great new friends and running a half marathon come to mind. However, I am looking forward to 2009. When I asked my husband what else good happened in 2008, he said "We were healthy in 2008. But we'll be skinny in 2009." Which leads me to my next topic - resolutions.


I have made pretty much the same resolutions for a few years now: 1. Lose weight 2. Pay off debt 3. Get organized. And it's really sad that I never seem to get to the point where I don't have to make that resolution again! I am confident this year - for some reason. So here they are - for all of cyberspace.

2009 Resolutions

1. Lose weight. Come hell or high water, I WILL lose the weight this year. I will lose at least 20 pounds, and then see how I feel. 20 pounds will put me about 15 pounds lower than I have been in three years, and that would make me supremely happy. I have a half marathon in February, the Mud Run in June, and another half in July, and I figure I will be running at least one more race before the end of the year. As long as I keep my calories in check a majority of the time, I should have no excuses.

2. Pay off debt. I made a HUGE dent in our consumer debt this year, but then a couple of things set us back - both our water heater and our car died. So sad. I am in a much better financial situation today than I was a year ago, but there is still much work to be done. I will create a budget and both H and I will stick to it. This is going to be key. After that, everything else should fall into place.

3. Get organized (and cleaned!). Our home is a disaster. Disaster. H is pretty messy, I'm a packrat, and I work so many hours I am never home to clean. So, between all the crap I have and H's messes our condo is just hideous. I want to feel organized. I want to have people over without being mortified. Last year I signed up for Flylady and then just got overwhelmed with the zones and the emails. This year I am creating a daily/weekly cleaning schedule and assigning tasks to each of us. I am also going to make a concerted effort to spend a minimum of 15 minutes a day (I did get something from that Flylady) decluttering, which for the most part means either throwing giving away.

Now, the biggest obstacle in the bast to these things has been H. But this year I am going to work very VERY had to get him involved - with the budget, with the cleaning, and especially with the food. I don't want any more crap or peer pressure from him. He can stand to lose a few pounds himself, and I think he is on board with me because of what he said about 2009.

There are of course other things I am doing/continuing in 2009 that don't need a resolution involved - my running, reading, looking for a new job, and maybe even a house! But I'm going to keep it simple and try to focus on the big three if you will. So goodbye 2008, even though you had some sucky moments, all in all you were an okay year. BUT HELLO 2009 - you are going to be GREAT!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with all your resolutions! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm cheering you on all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Serendipitie! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all kinds of luck with the resolutions!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!