Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lemon Extravaganza!

Dear God, I love my friend C. She has a lemon tree and apparently has lemons coming out her ears! I love lemons. LOVE them. These were awesome - just a little bit sweet and the peel has the most delicious aroma, almost herbal. I took eleven. Yes, eleven, and I used four just for this particular dinner.



I decided to make Tabbouleh salad. It's simple and yummy but I also love it because it allows me to express my Lebanese heritage.

Here is a quick and dirty recipe:
1 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed is always best
1 cup bulgar (cracked wheat)
One bunch of parsley, curly is perfect
1/4 red onion, chopped fine
1 large tomato, chopped fine
1 T. Olive Oil (I truly love my Pasolivo olive oils)

You can also add mint, cucumber, garlic, and/or lemon zest - whatever you like - but this gets it done.

First I squeezed the lemons



Once the lemons are squeezed, add the juice to the bulgar and let soak, preferably overnight. If you are in a rush you can boil it, but overnight suffices in terms of softening the cracked wheat. You just don't want the cracked wheat to feel too hard or have any crunch.

While that was soaking, I seasoned up some chicken tenders with olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, Thyme, salt and pepper.





While the chicken was cooking, I started to work on the parsley. Like most herbs, the stem is not the best part. I am not as picky, but I do go through and cut most of the stem off before chopping to a fine consistency.



Once all ingredients are chopped, mix together in a large bowl



The absolute last step is adding in the bulgar and lemon juice (you can see it to the right!)



Mix well, and and then chill for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors combine. It does keep a few days in the fridge, but it tends to dry out a bit, so the sooner you eat it the better.

The final step was to chop up the chicken - yummy AND healthy!

And C, BTW, I need more lemons!

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting!