Thursday, February 12, 2009

Third Time's a Charm

Today was my third attempt to meet with an RE. Aside from sitting there another 35 minutes before even being greeted, it was actually a pleasant experience overall. Apparently H did give the doc an earful about her staff. I guess I have him to thank for that, because even though I was livid before, I was just happy to actually see a doc at that point. Especially one that smiled without it seeming like a little joke at my expense.

She went over our medical histories and family history, and then explained in great detail the things they were going to test for, when, and why. She also went over some percentage numbers, which were daunting and a little scary. Apparently, an AMA woman who has been trying a year with no success has a 2% chance of getting pregnant. I'm not sure if that's true, but everything else seemed right - an average healthy couple with no issues (healthy, plentiful, motile and well shaped sperm, no blocked tubes and regular ovulation) has about a 20% chance a cycle to get pregnant. It was a little discouraging, but she said it like it was, and touched on some of the things that can increase their chances.

At the end of my appointment, I had my first ever date with the dildo cam. Yes ladies - I am no longer a dildo cam virgin. She looked at my uterus, which apparently seemed normal. One big fibroid, but she wasn't concerned because it wasn't in a place where it can impede conception, and my ovaries had about 4 follicle each, with only one growing (on my left ovary, if you care). Perfectly normal. So our homework is to POAS (OPK), and have lots of sex over the next few days).

She also took blood - to screen for Hepatitis, rubella, chicken pox, AIDS, Thyroid issues, and some other hormonal things. And I have an action plan: 1. As soon as I get a +OPK, I am to call and schedule CD21 bloodwork to test my progesterone level 2. CD 2, 3, or 4 I come in to have my FSH levels checked, and 3. Schedule my HSG sometime between when the bleeding stops and my next ovulation. Oh yeah, and H needs to schedule his deposit for sometime late next week. It feels good to have a plan, even though I already knew that's what it would be.

2 comments:

  1. good... I am glad that this time it went better! Good luck girlie! See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and have fun with the trying!

    I don't know what all the abbreviations mean but I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!