Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Career minded?

I have always thought I would be a career minded mother, but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if I would rather be a stay at home mom. When I was laid off, I hated going back to work. H is dying to work again (yes, this is a GOOD THING!). When I was laid off, I had time to make sure the house was clean, bargain shop, cook meals from scratch, work out, etc. and I enjoyed each and every day.

I wonder if I would still feel this way if I had a career I loved, if I found my passion. I wonder if I would feel this way once my kids come, even if I did love my career. I am also not the best at delegating - I am a firm believer of the do it yourself crowd. I sure as hell don't want my MIL with her misogynistic and homophobic views of the world raising my children.

H would like to be able to support me, so I wouldn't have to work. That would be nice, but if I didn't have to work, I would go back to school. Even if I do have kids, I would certainly need something for when they were older! And I was brought up to support myself and not ever find myself stuck in a corner. You can't predict the future - even though I trust H and know in my heart he would never leave me, if something ever happened, I don't want to be the woman who is unskilled and unable to support herself and her family.

2 comments:

  1. These are heavy things to contemplate. You know my views, but what's right for one person may not be right for another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying for the no work, no kids option.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!