Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The San Francisco Half Marathon

What an awesome run! So far, my favorite race hands down. I know plenty of people I spoke to were worried about the hills. I was too, but I had studied the course elevation and it didn't look that bad to me. Maybe it was the hill training I do simply by running around my house (at the top of a hill LOL).

So Sunday morning my alarm goes off at 4:30 am for a 5:54 race start (my particular wave). If this race were at home, I would be leaving my house before 4:30 to get there on time, but lucky me - I am staying at the closest hotel to the start. Wheee! 4:30 am is still pretty frickin early though. I get dressed, don my number, grab some water and some shot bloks, pack the backpack my H would be holding and we head out of the room. The plan was to grab a banana from the hotel continental breakfast, but they were all green so I just grabbed some water instead. I didn't want to risk intestinal discomfort. Not that it mattered to everyone - more about that in a later post.

So we walk out the door of the hotel and the first thing I noticed was the commotion right outside! The second thing I noticed was the incredible chill in the air. I knew this would be a good thing, but I was slightly worried about my muscles being too cold when we finally started running. I found my wave (VERY organized BTW - we had actual corrals to keep us straight! Unlike other races where if I wasn't in my wave before everyone got there, I would be waiting with the slower runners and would expend a good amount of energy trying to pass people), kissed my husband, handed him my sweatshirt, warned him that I was going for a PR and to be at the finish no later than 8:00 am, and proceeded to alternate jumping around/butt kicks/jogging in place with stretching for the next 25 minutes or so. I could hear the announcers talking - heard the first three waves of runners be started and then when the announcer said my wave would be taking off in about 5 minutes, I realized I had to pee.

At first I thought it was the nervousness that made me feel like that. There was no way I would be able to get into a port-a-potty in that time, nor would I be able to get to my room and back, so I just hoped that either it would go away once we started, or I would find a restroom along the way with no line. I wanted this race to be a PR! I could have gone and just started with a different wave, but I also didn't want to get stuck behind a bunch of slower runners and have to expend energy cutting around them. Again, this was the crazed part of my brain that wanted a PR talking. It soon became a moot point, because we had started and a was quickly over the start.

As with most of my longer runs, race or not, I spend the first two miles wondering why the hell I would do this. I'm not in my rhythm yet, usually a shin muscle will start to hurt, and I feel tired and sluggish. But the start is no place to walk, and with the others around me, I don't dare stop. Stopping in front of someone is bad form - more runs should know this. But I digress.

I see my husband about a 1/4 mile in - I ran past him, gave him a quick butt smack and was on my way. I hear him yell at me "Keep running - you got another 13 miles to go still!" Thanks for telling me - I think I forgot. LOL But I still have to pee. After assessing my ability to hold it for the next two hours, I decide that is too much, especially since I need to keep drinking liquids. I will need to find a restroom at some point, so my hunt for an unoccupied toilet began.

A little over 2 miles in I got to the first water stop, where I normally give myself about 30 seconds to walk so I can drink my water and not choke. I also spy the first set of port-a-potties - damn, a line. I keep running. I'm doing so well, I can't stop now! And then I hit the first hill. A steep hill right at Fort Mason. But it was mercifully short and over quickly, plus it was at the beginning of the race so I had plenty of energy for it.

Maybe a mile further I spy a park restroom a little off the route that looks open! And a couple people were heading that way, but no line! Whew! It was worth the tenth of a mile extra distance and the 60 second delay. Later my husband was appalled - thought I would see a bum sleeping in there. But I didn't. No harm, no foul. Also, this is the first time I spied the Golden Gate bridge, shadowed in fog - my ultimate motivation. Even though the first half marathon was rumored to be harder with more hills and a more aggressive time limit than the second half, I knew I needed to run over the Golden Gate. I would kick myself if I chose to do anything else.

One more aid station, and I see the only hill that I felt was going to be an obstacle. Steady and long uphill, but we had a great cheering section with the cutest man beating on a pot with a wooden spoon. I got to the top with minimal walking and headed onto the Golden Gate bridge. Now, don't ask me why this was so cool, because I don't have an answer for you. It boggles my mind to figure out why this was such a thrill, but regardless, it was. In fact, the next five miles (a pretty huge chunk of a 13.1 mile race!) revolved around the bridge. This part of the race flew by - the beginning of the bridge was a gradual uphill, challenging but still relatively easy, and the end was a gradual downhill which made me feel so strong! Because we were shrouded in fog, I couldn't even tell where the end was, until I was almost there. Off the bridge, a quick loop and an aid station, and then I was getting back on the bridge, running the uphill, looking forward to the downhill, and the last three miles of the race! Just a 5k, right?

I was still feeling strong, but was starting to tire. It was still the best I had ever felt at mile 11. We started to head through neighborhoods, and this is where the majority of the crowds subsided. There were a few people outside of their houses, but nothing like on the other parts of the course. It was right about there that the rolling hills started.

Don't get me wrong - I like rolling hills. You work hard on the short uphill and you gain speed while still catching your breath on the downhill. I guess I have never done rolling hills after this many miles. I stopped to walk too many times. Eventually I had to resort to counting my steps again. I kept thinking maybe this was the last hill, and then you would crest it and see the next one. It was tough mentally. I looked down at my Garmin, and saw I had less than 10 minutes until my goal time but I had no idea how much further.

(side note: yes, a Garmin calculates distance, but it counts all the weaving you do to get around people, to aid stations, etc. so it always measures a longer distance than an actual race. And of course I had that side trip I took to the restroom, so I had no idea how close I was)

I reached the park and saw the crowds, and wondered where my husband would be, and if my family even made it out of bed. I mean, it was barely 8:00 am! I also wondered how much longer it would be before I saw the blessed 13 mile marker. It wasn't right away, I tell ya. I kept checking my watch and had almost given up on my 2:15 goal. I was almost there, and no finish in sight. Thank goodness I had seemed to have crested my last hill at that point. Small victories, you know?

Finally, I see the finish, and again, inexplicably, I get a burst of energy and sprint to the finish line. I check my Garmin, and I am over 2:15 but who knows by how much according to the official time. Who cares? I still beat my previous PR by 13 minutes! I even had the strength to smile and raise my arms for the camera as I passed the finish line!

Immediately after I had started walking, my legs start to cramp up and I hear my husband call my name! I grab a water, follow the group to the course exit and meet up with him. I was thrilled. I felt strong. I felt fast. And I still do. I will never discount how hard those silly rolling hills were, but for the most part, I was prepared. I am so glad I did the first half!!! Yay!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic job, A! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a comment on your spark page but I'm SOOO SUPER DOOPER PROUD OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations!! you are my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! You're such an inspiration! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!