Tuesday, August 25, 2009

101 things in 1001 days

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

For more information, visit The Day Zero Project

I am starting my 101 things on September 1, 2009. My final goal date is Tuesday, May 29, 2012. I will be pushing 39 years old. I sure as hell hope this list is complete and error free. I am pretty much sick of looking at it.

UPDATE, May 11, 2012: Well, I didn't quite finish, but I'm not giving up. I have decided to give myself until September 30, 2013 and I have adjusted some of my goals to make them more realistic as well as reflect my current lifestyle, since it has changed so dramatically.

In progress tasks will look like this.
Completed tasks will look like this.

Health and Fitness
1. Run a Marathon - Blog Post
2. Do a Triathalon
3. Get my Weight Watchers Lifetime Status - Blog Post
4. Become a Marathon Maniac
5. Complete the 100 pushup challenge
6. Complete a round of Body For Life workouts
7. Complete a round of New Rules of Weightlifting for Women workouts - Done!
8. Climb Mount Whitney
9. Try Stand Up Paddleboarding
10. Try Pole Dancing - Blog Post
11. Boycott restaurant meals for seven consecutive days - Blog Post
12. Break a 5 hour marathon

Family and Friends
13. Have a family photo taken with the dogs
14. Visit my Grandmother's grave site
15. Visit my Grandfather's grave site
16. Become a mommy - I am a mommy to an angel
17. Visit my mother
18. Watch the Perseid meteor shower with my husband
19. Write a letter to my grandmother
20. Snowboard a powder day with my husband
21. Write a letter to my uncle
22. Host a dinner party
23. Make a new friend - Blog Post
24. Make a mix CD for H - Blog Post
25. Get a couple's massage with my husband
26. Go on a picnic with H
27. Compile a family recipe book
28. I have no idea what was here!

Community/Environment
29. Join a CSA  - Blog Post
30. Volunteer
31. Give blood - Done!
32. Pay for the next person's order
33. Donate $5 to charity for every goal I don't attain on this list
34. Participate in the Positivity Challenge - Blog Post 
35. Work in a soup kitchen on Thanksgiving
36. Mentor for Team in Training - Blog Post
37. Send a care package to a soldier through anysoldier.com
38. Grow an herb garden
39. Grow a veggie garden
40. Tip 100% to a really good server - Blog Post
41. Send and receive a postcard through Postcrossing.com
42. Eat vegetarian for one week - Blog Post
43. No idea what was here!

Money and Finances
44. Pay off all credit card debt

Travel and Experiences
45. Visit Manzanar
46. Swim in an alpine lake
47. Road Trip!
48. See the Grand Canyon
49. Float the Owens again
50. Visit Napa/Northern California Wine Country
51. Hike to 1000 Island Lake
52. Go white water rafting
53. Do an overnight hiking trip to Iva Bell
54. Visit Bodie again
55. Eat at Walker Burger - Does the BBQ place next door count?
56. Go Camping
57. Go to Magic Mountain
58. Visit Legoland
59. Wallow in the mud at Glen Ivy
60. Hike to Mono Pass
61. Have a beach bonfire
62. Visit Hearst Castle
63. Eat at a place featured in "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"
64. Take H to Catalina
65. See the Winchester Mystery House
66. Attend the Gilroy Garlic Festival
67. Go to Yosemite
68. Take H whale watching - Blog Post
69. Go fishing
70. Take a trip on a train
71. Kayak Mono Lake
72. Hike to Spark Plug Mine

Career
73. Get my CMP Certification
74. Get a new job - Blog post
75. Start a business

Personal Development
76. Write a short story
77. Learn the fundamentals of Photography
78. Work a gig as a photography assistant
79. Print and frame one of my own photos
80. Get a photograph into an art show
81. Upload a photo to iStockphoto.com
82. Do a Project 365
83. Participate in NaBloPoMo - Blog Post  
84. Participate in NaNoWriMo
85. Learn to crochet
86. Knit a pair of boot socks for the winter
87. Enter a recipe contest
88. Perfect my handmade pasta recipe
89. Be able to define all 100 words every high school graduate should know
90. Read 10 unread books from the Banned Books List (0/10)
91. Enter something into a Local Fair

Random

92. See every movie on AFI's 100 years...100 movies list (42/100)
93. See a play

Silly
94. Stay in bed an entire weekend without being sick - Blog Post
95. Invent my signature martini - Blog Post
96. Invent my signature cupcake - Blog Post
97. Get to level 100 in Mafia Wars - Blog Post
98. Make homemade limoncello - Blog Post
99. Make Skittles Vodka - Done!
100. Perfect my trout recipe

101. Make my next 101 list

4 comments:

  1. wow what a great idea! good luck! this is an awesome list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive list!

    I don't think I'm diligent enough to even compose a list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wish you tons of luck with this, the list looks so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing list!
    I always say I am going to do this, but I never do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!