Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Team in Training in SF!

I wanted to write a whole separate post specifically about my Team in Training experience in San Francisco, mostly because it was surprisingly awesome. I wasn't so sure - I had heard a lot of different opinions and I wasn;t sure what to expect. I did spring for an Inspiration Dinner ticket for H, much to his chagrin. I think he would have chosen to visit another awesome restaurant in SF.

The afternoon started at 3:45 pm when we met as a team. It was mostly housekeeping stuff, where our table was, what to do the next day before and after the race, and how much money we raised. Sarah spoke most of the meeting.



Then at the end, they passed out candles for us, and we all participated in a moment of silence and lit candles for our Honored Teammates and Honored Angels. Those we have lost and those who were still with us. I had to pinch my arm a few times to keep the tears in check. It was pretty emotional.



After the meeting, I only had a few minutes to collect my H and meet up with some teammates so we could walk to the dinner location together. When we got there, we were totally unprepared for the masses of support team cheering us on!



It was huge. It was deafening. All the LLS and TnT Staff, Coaches and Mentors from every single team was there cheering! Hundreds and hundred of them. It was overwhelming but in a good way! Even my H was impressed!



It also might have been the biggest Inspiration Dinner that TnT puts on, as the Nike Marathon is their biggest event. I asked Gina, who is TnT Alumni, and she said she had never seen an Inspiration Dinner like this.



The food was a decent carbo load - pesto and marinara pasta (with pine nuts as a condiment we could add ourselves! I love me some pine nuts), salad, rolls, and lots of water. H was disappointed there wasn't a cash bar. LOL

The speakers were the best part. Joan Benoit Samuelson, who was one of the co-founders of the race spoke. Super incredible experience. Most memorable quote: "The woman who starts the marathon tomorrow will not be the same woman who finishes it."



Next John "The Penguin" Bingham spoke. He was funny! Lots of jokes that you might not appreciate unless you were not only a runner, but a slow runner. LOL



The last person to speak was a woman (and I suck because I don't remember her name). She was running the event, but was also a survivor of Hodgkin Lymphoma. In fact, against the odds, both of her parents were diagnosed with non-hodgkin lymphoma years before. If you know anything about these blood cancers, you know that there is no genetic link, so the odds of all three of them to be diagnosed are off the charts! Fortunately, all three of them are in remission! Hooray!! Her story was so inspirational, especially the parts of how LLS made a difference to her personally.



After dinner, we took pictures! Here I am with Coach Melissa, our Campaign Manager Vicki, and Gina:



And here I am with Coach Jennifer and Coach Lynn!



The next night was the victory party. I did not purchase a ticket, but I did sign up to get mine just in case. It turned out that Lindsey was going to dinner with a friend, and gave us her ticket. It actually sounded kind of fun, and since we had the tickets, we thought we would go. they did something completely different this year, with multiple rooms, including an 80's room, Karaoke room, game room, photo booths, etc.



The Karaoke room was crowded, never even got a chance to sing! LOL



I did find some of my teammates, and we danced the night away.





I did take one last photo of our inspiration board - the reasons we run: the people afflicted with these diseases.



I would love to do this event again as part of TnT, just because the experience was so incredible. I'm sad to know that not every TnT event is as amazing and huge.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful organization to be involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great experience, sounds like a wonderful org!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome!
    I have tons of admiration for you, and all of TnT & LLS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. WOW. WOW!!!!! Yea. Um. Your experience was MUCH better than ours.

    And I'm really glad it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pandas and merms! Pandas and merms!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!