Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pasta!

My mom recently got a Kitchen Aid pasta set for Christmas so she could make her own pasta. Well, make her own pasta using the abundance of eggs my parents get from their chickens on a regular basis! And even more recently, 10YT sold her Kitchen Aid pasta set. This got me thinking - I have had my own KA pasta set for probably 5 years now, and only used it once (which was a total disaster because I tried to make pasta out of soy flour ::facepalm::). I figured if I wasn't willing to part with it, then I need to use it. So tonight I set out to find semolina flour with a goal to make my own pasta.

I easily found Bob's Red Mill at Mother's Market. Perhaps it could have been found at a regular grocery, but I was not interested in driving around all night. I had some Pasta Making to do!



I followed the recipe from the book included with the KA Pasta set, mixing the eggs, oil and water into the flour with the paddle mixer for 30 seconds



And then switched in the dough kneading hook for two minutes. Okay, maybe more than two minutes. The dough was very crumbly, so I hand kneaded it while adding water until the dough would stick together, and then let the hook do the rest of the work.



I hand kneaded it a little more, and then divided it into 8 parts as instructed with the recipe. A dough cutter is a dream for stuff like that - just a tip. Damn, this is a lot of pasta dough. I started running the first dough piece through the flattening attachment, slowly forming it into a thinner and thinner sheet. This part was actually working okay - the dough was holding up, not crumbly or sticky, and it had a good amount of elasticity! I was pretty excited at this point.



Then I tried to run it through the spaghetti cutter. My strands weren't really separating, so I clumped them back up together to try it again from the beginning. I did that a few times, and then realized I had nowhere to dry them.



Then I also realized that maybe I should flatten all the dough into sheets before running them through the cutters, you know, so I wouldn't have to keep switching the attachments. And then I realized, I didn't have space for that many flat pieces of dough, and they all stuck together.

I tried to cook some of my spaghetti, but it really clumped together - not sure how to keep the strands separate, unless I'm cutting them right into a boiling pot. Once they sit, they tend to just combine again. The fettuccine cutter was slightly more successful, but not by much. In the end, I cooked two parts of the eight, threw two parts away, ate one part raw (not too bad!), and wrapped three parts in plastic wrap and put in the fridge. I have no idea if those will still work.

My biggest challenge is going to be getting the cut strands to not stick to each other. My guess is more flour, but not sure of the correct application method. This entire experiment cost about $2.50, so not much. I am not sure it is cheaper than store bought, and it certainly isn't easier, but it was fun. I am certainly willing to give it another shot though! Stay tuned for Pasta Take 2, after I do some online research. Oh and figure out a drying method/apparatus.

6 comments:

  1. You need a pasta drying rack! (My mom used to make homemade pasta and once it dries out a bit, it cooks just fine.)

    Try something like this:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/130549.do

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I sold the rollers/set. Mark did this before and he had pasta all over the dang kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GL with round 2! I've never been brave enough to actually use mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try that. Make some raviolis with it. They were doing that on food network last night and it looked divine and no worries about it sticking together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm impressed! home made pasta...yum! i need to be braver in my cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like WAY. Complicated. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!