Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bonus Post!

You get two posts today - lucky you! I had an interesting talk with our therapist this morning. We usually focus on our marriage in therapy, figuring out how to better work together and support each other, but I have been so miserable with my work situation we decided to talk about that. Hope H didn't mind! After discussing my current situation in more depth, my history and past aspirations, he came up with something I found profound. He basically said that when you have a certain level of intelligence and don't respect that intelligence or your strengths by choosing a career that doesn't match your strengths and interests, you are always going to feel unfulfilled and unsatisfied. That really resonated with me. I don't think I can remember a time when I really felt fulfilled with my job. I can remember feeling really happy when I worked with horses in junior high and high school, but then I got a job and had to give it up. I also remember loving an internship I had, where I worked with seals and sea lions. But that might have been the last time. I have had a lot of jobs since, but have been fairly restless in almost any job, like there was something better out there, like there had to be more. Even in my executive assistant job. I loved that job the best, but still wanted to know what my option were for improvement. That's how I landed in sales - just trying to find something more.

He brought up a really good point to - if we want to have a family, do we really want our children seeing me unhappy at whatever crap job I am doing at the time just to make money? I watched both my dad and my stepdad go through that, as well as seeing my mom's lack of direction and aspiration (mostly due to low self esteem). I need to break the cycle. I don't want my children to be 36, pushing 37, still not knowing what they were meant to do, and hating their life. I want my children to grow up knowing what they want to do and being bold enough to go after it, regardless of the pay or the success rate. I want them to be bold and follow their dreams. I want them to know what there dreams are, and never ever forget them.

So I have decided to pay $30 for a career interests tests given by our therapist. He says it has helped a lot of people in similar situations. His plan is to help me find something I love that also happens to be something I am good at, and then help me figure out how to make money doing it. He also used to be a Financial Aid counselor so has offered to help me figure out to make it work financially (if additional education is required). I'm actually a little relieved that I have something ahead of me that could help. It also feels better to have someone verbalize what I have been feeling for years. Today's session was an A+ in my book.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea! And he sounds like a great therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes a lot of sense. I am glad you are discovering this and hope that you find a path that is suitable for your talents and abilities.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!