Saturday, February 20, 2010

Walnut, Artichoke, and Goat Cheese Strudel

I got this recipe from Shape Magazine, and was thrilled to try it. I thought I could talk my husband into a meatless dinner on Friday for Lent, but since neither of us is Catholic, that didn't work. He still bought steak. Bastard.



Walnut, Artichoke, and Goat Cheese Strudel
Shape, February 2010


1 cup walnuts
Cooking Spray
1 12 oz Jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
8 sheets phyllo
4 oz crumbled goat cheese

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly and chop. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees F.



Put artichokes into a food processor and blend into a slightly chunky paste.


Place 1 sheet phyllo on a cutting board and coat with cooking spray. Layer another sheet over the first, and coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/4 of the walnut mixture on phyllo leaving a small border. Layer two more sheets of phyllo over nuts, coating each with cooking spray. Spread half the artichokes, half the goat cheese, and 1/4 of the walnuts, leaving a small border.


TIP: While working with phyllo, keep it covered with a damp kitchen towel to keep it from drying out!

By the way, this is what it looks like when your husband tries to play with Phyllo:



Fold the short ends over the filling, and start with the long end closest to you, roll the phyllo into a log shaped strudel. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment (way easier than trying to grease a baking sheet and have it actually release! I want my strudel to be intact when I serve it), seam side down. Coat with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, use the tip to cut 5 slits along the top of the strudel to make 6 equal sections. Do not cut through the sides!



Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Mine actually took only like 25 minutes. Cut each strudel into six slices using the slits as guides, and serve.



Okay, here is where I messed up. A smart person might have figured out that you are supposed to make TWO strudels with this amount of ingredients (or at least read all the way to the end of the recipe). However, I decided they left out steps and I made one huge strudel with four layers, that was actually rather hard to roll. Haha I'll get it right next time. I still have phyllo and will have to use it at some point before it molds! The next thing was not chopping the walnuts enough, and not spreading them thin enough. Same with the goat cheese and artichokes. I also should have coated the edges of the phyllo - might have helped it stick to itself better. One last thing - I would probably use an extra sheet or two of phyllo on the outside (before you add the walnuts to the first layer. The phyllo was VERY flaky and kind of hard to cut with losing the top!



Here's what Shape's looked like:

 

Here's what mine looked like:


Anyway, enjoy! I found it to be rather yummy, but H thought it was too sour between the goat cheese and the marinated artichokes. That means I get to eat it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!