Thursday, March 11, 2010

And the verdict is....

Dietitian.

Let me explain. The test results started with the "Overall Themes" including Artistic, Conventional, etc. - I was average in all themes, but above average in the Investigative theme.
Next, it went over my basic interests, and I came up higher than average in Nature/Outdoors, Animal Science, Mathematics, Scientific Research, Medical, Performing/Entertaining and Food Service, to which my husband said "Great, you're already in food service so just stay there!" Thanks babe, but you're not helping. ::grumble:: Then of course he came back with, "Maybe you should be an actress, and then when they make a movie about Meryl Streep's life, you can play her." To which I responded, "Well, I guess I need to either lose 30 pounds or gain 100 because there are no average weight women in Hollywood." He's SO helpful.

So, with those results in mind, the test comes up with suggestions in which more than 75% of my answers match  successful and satisfied people in those careers. In order, they were:

1. Dietitian
2. Medical Lab Technician - salary too low
3. Pharmacist - nights and weekends again?
4. Math or Science Teacher
5. Physician
6. Veterinarian
7. Physical Therapist

And then, "since no two people are exactly alike" it encourages to look at all the careers I scored higher than average on and gave another list of careers in addition to those. Most of them were medical, but some of the more interesting ones were Actuary (I have actually considered that), Aircraft Test Engineer ::shocked::, Cartographer ::mildly amused::, Market Research ::hmmm::, Nurse Anesthetist (another one I have considered), Oceanographer, and Physicist (My High School physics teacher would be so proud).

Anyway, if I rule out a minimum of four more years of school and major student loans, low paying career and another career that could require nights, weekends, and holidays, my original list gets pared down to Dietitian, Teacher, and Physical Therapist.

How do I know if one will make me happier than the rest? How do you know? How do you make a decision? Part of me thinks the best decision is the one that is the most direct and quickest path, which would probably be Dietitian. I already have a degree in Biology - for $15 Cal State Long Beach will review my transcripts and tell me exactly what additional classes I need to complete to be eligible for exams. I could even go into food research, which would satisfy my investigative side. But I still think about the research I did in college and wanting to be a veterinarian. I decided not to reapply (long story there) because I was tired of being bit by scared pets, but when I look back, I really wanted to be an exotic animal veterinarian. In my mind, I knew how much competition there is, and I was playing it safe. I still play it safe. I am afraid of choosing something with too few spaces and too much competition because I am afraid of waiting tables while I try to break in. Maybe that's why I never moved to Hollywood (hahaha).

Trying to make a decision about the rest of your life sucks.

6 comments:

  1. I've always played it safe, and look where it got me.

    My brother, on the other hand, took great risks, and look where it got him.

    We are both doing fine financially, but one of us actually likes what he does for a living.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that could be really interesting. GL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man what a handful of thoughts to have. That is a lot to process. I'm here if you ever want to mull this over over SP or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you would be great at this.

    I have always played it safe, and I am so over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely major (scary) decisions! You might want to think about doing some informational interviews, just to get an idea of the day to day of the new direction you might be going. Be confident you're doing the research that will help you make a decision you'll be happy with!

    B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!