Tuesday, June 8, 2010

San Diego Rock & Roll (or I can't believe I haven't blogged in over a month)

Goodness. I'm guessing that if you are reading this, you must have me on Google Reader, because clicking on a blog manually with no updates in practically a century gets really old, really fast. I just haven't felt like blogging much - not a whole lot new going on, nothing exciting for sure, and it got old to complain about the same stuff over and over. But now I have new stuff to complain about! Haha.

I finished in 5:21:22, 1:45 slower than my Nike Marathon. So I ran the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon and I did not PR. I have plenty of excuses why, as I'm sure most runners have in similar situations.

Excuse #1: Of course, this race was all about getting my TNT Participants trained and across the finish line. It had nothing to do with my own race, you know?

Excuse #2: I was training at a 12-15 minute mile pace, much slower than I did for my first marathon

Excuse #3: We decided to do 4:1 intervals instead of the 5:1's we did during Nike. That's about 11 extra minutes that we were walking instead of running! Okay, now that I have figured it out, it's not much of an excuse.

Excuse #4: I was running a lot during May because of the Nike Challenge, and I didn't taper enough.

Excuse #5: It was really really hot.

Excuse #6: A lot of the course was slanted AND it was hilly! And the roads were all torn up too! There were many times I was worried about tripping or rolling an ankle, and that would have sucked.

Excuse #7: I'm about 10 pounds heavier (weight makes you slower - did you know that?) and of course my nutrition was not exactly on target.

Excuse #8: The course was mentally brutal with us being able to see most of the end about 2/3 of the way through. Believe it or not, knowing you have a mile left mentally is better than actually seeing how long a mile is.

I can go on and on. It was actually kinda fun to type all those excuses out! This race was brutal - I would personally like to bomb Fiesta Island into oblivion after running on it. I don't know how to describe it, other than to say at mile 19 you could pretty much see the rest of the course (on Fiesta Island), and what you couldn't see was easily visualized. "I still have to run THAT much further?" kept going through my brain. Yes, I do realize a marathon is 26.2 miles, but I really try to push that into the back of my brain when I'm running. Seeing it made the reality of it made it all too real.

The heat was a killer too. There were people dropping like flies. People passed out on sidewalks with medics around them. People throwing up. People getting IV fluids. Craziness. Thank goodness for my salt stash! Salt is disgusting, but pretty much required on days like that. And it made the Cytomax they were passing out on the course actually taste okay. Not great, but okay.

So, here is the point in time when I examine my excuses and how I can improve. Because that's what an athlete does, right?

1. I have to get back to my Weight Watchers goal weight, and maybe a little further. Excess weight makes you slower, and it also doesn't look great in race photos. I usually look like I'm in pain anyway, even when I smile, so being a little thinner could offset that. Better nutrition would probably help too. Just saying.

2. I need to put more emphasis in my overall conditioning. Weight training and cross training can only help. Speed and tempo work midweek would also help. I am extremely proud that I was able to cut 1-2 minutes per mile off of my long training run pace for the Marathon (proves that long runs aren't about pace, just endurance), and I think if I focused on my midweek training runs pace I could really improve. Speedwork is painful though, which is why I have been avoiding it. Just tell me to suck it up.

3. I need to work on my mind games to trick my left brain. Visually seeing the rest of the course really threw me, but if I had been prepared, I would have had those brain games ready to go. I would have also thought more about my playlist. I just threw some music together, since I only wear one headphone and it's usually only background music. I haven't really had a situation where I was relying on my music during a hard part of a race. Until Mile 21 of this one where "It's Raining Men" came on and all of a sudden I decided to sing. It was probably prompted by lack of glucose in my brain, but as I was singing, I was laughing and all of a sudden my legs didn't feel all crampy any more. It was a great feeling, and I proceeded to try and find another song that made me feel the same way, something I could do some more race-time karaoke to, but none of the other songs worked that way. Note to self: More Disco.

4. Best advice - don't try to PR a summer race in a warm climate. 'Nuff said.

So, will I run SD R&R again? Only in the year I go for my Four-titude medal, and only because it's so close and convenient. Too many other races to run!

5 comments:

  1. I don't care how many excuses you come up with, I am still duly impressed by your dedication epsecially when it was so brutally hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cackled so hard at "I would personally like to bomb Fiesta Island into oblivion after running on it." MUAHAH! On Sunday, while you were running 26.2 miles, I was sitting at home with the AC blasting at 64 degrees eating Rubios. You rock so hard, and I'm very proud of you. I know it sucks big time to miss a PR by 1:45, but I agree with the reasons being a good excuse for that. GL on the next one! I'll be cheering you on from my AC house. lolz. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it to the finish line. That is a BIG accomplishment in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still super proud of you homie. My first marathon was brutal so I can level on the mile long excuse list.

    You don't owe anyone excuses. You did so great. You finished. You trained rookies to finish! You're an inspiration and you rock!

    W00t!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finishing a marathon is awesome! I've only done one but that felt fantastic! Congratulations!!

    And I hear ya on the summer PR. I was looking into Salt Lake on July 24 but it gets kinda hot there. Although the trade-off would be to run a marathon downhill...

    Anyway, congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!