Sunday, September 19, 2010

Better Places

I'm feeling better. I knew I would be. And while I love all of you, you were all so excited for the IVF, I didn't feel like anyone really understood how I was feeling. Maybe some of you thought it was strictly a vanity thing. Like I couldn't stand to gain a pound, or something like that. Fortunately, I found a few people who understood how I was feeling, including one woman who had been in my position and got through it. Her words of wisdom and encouragement helped me tremendously, and I am still hopeful I will be able to exercise again after 12 weeks along.

For me, it has nothing to do with vanity. It has everything to do with my concern for my (phantom) child. I don't want to care about how I am feeling, whether I feel like working out or eating vegetables, or sleeping and eating junk food. I want to take care of myself so that my child has the best health, the best life. I want to avoid any complications, such as preeclampsia or gestational diabetes. I don't want to be forced into an early induction or a c-section because of health issues that I might have been able to prevent.

I have read all the studies - that expectant mothers who exercise have shorter and easier labors, and a better chance at delivering healthy babies. Women who eat vegetables during pregnancy have a better chance that their babies will like vegetables. These choices will lead to a healthy life for my child, well beyond the first few years.

A part of me feels bad that I am going through such great lengths to bring a child into this world, with all it's inherent flaws and dangers. This is a huge investment and I don't want to jeopardize it, but while my doctor uses that train of thought to ban exercise, it is precisely that thought that makes me want to exercise. So, I will listen to my doctor, but I will also be interviewing OB's that will give me the green light to start up again on week 13.

2 comments:

  1. I had all the same intentions, but morning sickness kicked my ass until week 18 and then I was put on bed rest at week 20. I didn't exercise once my entire pregnancy and the girls came out perfect.

    I wanted to eat nothing but vegetables and healthy stuff, but my morning sickness dictated what I could eat, which ended up being lots of Mac & Cheese, Gardettos and mashed potatoes.

    I guess what I am saying is that it's great to have a plan, but you kind of have to "let go" and roll with it once you're there. Most of all, I am a firm believer that resting and listening to my body led to my girls baking as long as they did with no PTL.

    Congrats on this amazing opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!