Saturday, April 30, 2011

Busting an Infertility Myth: Couples Without Kids Can't Be Happy

Today is the last day of National Infertility Awareness Week®, and I wanted to make this last post special. I wanted to not only show others that pity isn't needed, but I also wanted to remind my fellow infertiles that infertility doesn't define us or our lives.

I started drafting this blog post before I knew about IVF 2.0. It seems almost crazy to me that just a little more than four days ago, I had no idea it was going to happen. But now that I am full blown clycling, it doesn't change the way I feel about this topic.

While the desire to have a child has obviously consumed much of our lives (because, let's face it - if you are reading this blog or are even aware of NIAW, you have been consumed), infertility is not all we are. I spent the last week busting myths and sharing my own thoughts, opinions and struggles, and my God, I have shared a lot of posts about infertility over the life of this blog. Now it's time to take a step in another direction. I need to focus on ME, not my infertility.

I was supposed to pledge to make the infertility posts few and far between, and focus more on life in general. My knitting, photography, food, travel. But let's face it, while you're cycling, it does consume your life. I will try to post about different things. I will probably even start my love letters again. Perhaps one a day telling myself all kinds of positive things about this IVF.

I also wrote this prior to IVF 2.0 becoming a reality:

"Maybe someday, I will get one of those surprise BFP's you hear so much about, but I'm not holding my breath. Or in a few years, maybe I will get the opportunity to adopt a child who needs me. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Until then, today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I plan on enjoying it."

I still plan on this. Whether IVF 2.0 is successful or not, I will still live my life. I promise. We are all more than Infertile. So here's to the rest of our lives. xo

Infertility 101
More on National Infertility Awareness Week®

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it does consume ones life when trying to conceive. I'm hopefully releasing an egg or two myself in the next days. Waiting for that LH surge line now.
    I wish you all the best and hope that this is the cycle we both get our BFPs. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally a myth, tons of people are living childfree or in the DINK (dual income no kids) lifestage and PROUD OF IT! They are happy, and focused on larger things in life, exploring the world, expanding their minds and focusing on the relationship with the SO. Livin the DINKlife or Childfree is rising steadily. DINKlife.com supports this lifestyle and you won't hear any mention of kids there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!