Saturday, April 23, 2011

National Infertility Awareness Week® April 24-30

National Infertility Awareness Week® Starts Tomorrow!

Every year, I feel more and more able to share this with my friends and family. It takes a lot to "come out" regarding infertility. Why? Because there are so many myths believed by the general public. Family planning is a very personal thing, and even more so when you're infertile. You are afraid of telling people you are trying to get pregnant because you don't want people constantly asking you if you're pregnant yet. You are afraid to tell anyone about your pregnancy because you are terrified you will miscarry and then have to endure telling people the bad news. Many are terrified to be pregnant at all because of late losses. I personally hate the "sympathy" from people who have no idea what I am going through, and the gossip I know they participate in behind my back. It's one thing to talk to me about it, but I hate hearing the comments secondhand.

But I am standing up to the prejudice and misinformation. I am sharing my journey. Why? It doesn't really make me feel better about it, but if I can help just one more person feel a little less alone, it will be worth it.

If you have been affected by infertility, please stand up and make yourself heard, if only for this one week. Remember, infertility affects a minimum of one in eight couples. That's a huge percentage. If we count that as only one out of 16 people (simply to be conservative), that is 6.25% of the population. There are a little more than 300 million people in the United States, and approximately 8 million of those people have or have had cancer. That's only 2.6%. Cancer is a horrible debilitating disease that can kill you, so is obviously more concerning than infertility. However, most people know their friends who have or have had cancer. How many of those people know which of their friends are infertile? According to these stats, their infertile friends outnumber their friends afflicted with cancer twice over. Those numbers might be wrong, but it's still an interesting theory, right? I'm sad that infertiles feel the need to be so secretive.

So, I hope you have an amazing NIAW. Let's bust some myths people!

Infertility 101
More on National Infertility Awareness Week®

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!