Saturday, December 24, 2011

Over the river and through the woods

Back when I lived in the mountains the last time, I would go out into the forest to cut a Christmas tree myself. It was economical ($5 for a permit from the Forest Service) and fun as well. Think Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation, without freezing my eyeballs.

Now that we are back in the mountains, we decided to continue the tradition, because not only does it get us into the Christmas Spirit, we can get a nicer tree for less money. Also, because we cut it down ourselves, the tree is beyond fresh. I remember taking my trees down the first week of January and being shocked at how green and pliable it was, even after spending a month in my living room! Therefore, we decided to get our tree right after Thanksgiving. (BTW the tree is still pliable, more than three weeks later.

We decided to hit up Virginia Lakes on our way to Bridgeport, and it was cold! But also gorgeous.

Virginia Lakes = Frozen

More Virginia Ice

Bravery. I know the ice is super thick, but still...

Rudolph crossing. I lovw this sign, it has been there for years!


Snow on the road, but this was the furthest we have been able to drive into the forest in a while. And that's actually sad...

We found a tree in our normal spot, and it was overall fairly uneventful. Except for the moment when hubby was looking at the trees on the side of the road, and almost ran smack into a herd of deer. I yelled out deer when they were 10 feet away, and he was able to stop. Of course I was so freaked, that I forgot to pull my camera out... ::eyeroll::

I make him do all the work

Success!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely tree. Hope your holiday went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this looks like an amazing place,, so beautiful, especially the frozen lake x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!