Thursday, April 25, 2013

How I deal with my own infertility (NIAW post?)

I've written about NIAW in the past, but I don't have much to say about it anymore. It's hard for me because while infertility affects many, a much smaller percentage remains childless and I am so far one of the few. I can't say with certainty that we will be childless forever, but the hope for a biological child, one that I will love for the 40 or so weeks that s/he would grow in my belly, is gone.


So fur children are my children, and I was incredibly lucky to adopt a new one this week. Most of you probably know that I lost one of my dogs almost 8 weeks ago, and maybe even saw that I have been wanting to adopt a new one. You may have even ready my last update where I said I was pretty happy without having another dog. Well, the dream of new puppy ownership came true on Tuesday when we adopted an adorable puppy. Instantly I am thrown into the chaos known to moms of toddlers combined with the lack of sleep known to moms of infants. This is as close to motherhood that I may ever get.


Funny too - nobody knows what kind of dog he is. He was left outside an animal hospital in the middle of the night with severe head trauma. No idea what kind of trauma, how it happened, etc. He couldn't see for a couple weeks and I'm afraid to think that they may have put him down if he didn't recover, but he is recovering, thank goodness! He still can't see great, but is getting better. Fortunately, our vet (who also happend to have seen him originally for the injury) believes he will make a full recovery. In the meantime, everyone has their own opinions on what kind of mix he is. I have heard husky, rottweiler, maybe some shepherd, australian shepherd, cattle dog, pit bull and more. he doesn't have long hair, but he has a thicker coat. The closest I can come to a similar looking puppy is a jack russell puppy - they tend to be a little fuzzier as puppies. However, he will be much bigger! My vet said to get him on large breed puppy food! Ack. As puppy to adult weight predictions aren't accurate, I can guess he will be anywhere from 50 - 100 pounds. Ack! Oh well, he's a great dog - mellow, submissive (for the most part) and if we continue to work on his puppy manners he will grow up to be a great dog no matter how big he gets.


It's a good thing that he is so cute, because he's driving me crazy! He's in everything, and hates being kenneled. We are working on that by feeding him in it and only taking him out when he is quiet. I hope he gets over the crazy whining and barking soon or my neighbors might kill me. Nighttime is okay, but I'm exhausted. The first night we went to sleep at 11:00 pm, woke up at 2:00 am to go potty, and then he was up at 5:30 am. On a good day I normally wake at 6:30 am. Yawn! Last night I was so exhausted I tried to get everyone to go to bed at 9:00 pm. He woke us up at 11:00 pm and that was like a nap for him, because he was wide awake and ready to play. I played with him for about 30 minutes to get him to tire out and was able to go back to sleep around 11:45 pm, getting a solid 4 hours before he woke up at 3:30 am to potty. This morning he slept until 6:00 am when my alarm went off. I hope think he will settle down more and follow a normal sleep schedule in the coming days with one potty break in the middle.


In the meantime, I have my bitter cherry spray for the chewing and the enzymatic puppy mess spray for the peepee accidents. So far, no poop issues even though he goes like 6 times a day.


 
Yeah, I don't know how this really relates to NIAW but this is how I've chosen to cope with my lack of children.

2 comments:

  1. A new puppy is very much like a new baby in my book. Congrats on the new fur baby. May he bring you much joy in the life you have together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new addition! I definitely pets become part of your family and you are doing an excellent job as a parent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!