Friday, April 5, 2013

Searching for another pup

It's so hard to find another dog.

I feel bad for my little one when I leave for work. I know he misses his friend. I think all in all, we have handled her death very well, but there is just something missing in our home. I also desperately want to rescue another pup and give her a good life. I say "her" because I feel like little one would bond more strongly to a girl than a boy, and I want to avoid any sort of agression that is statistically more possible with same sex packmates.

However, I am finding it rather hard to find a good fit. Our local pound has a few dogs, but nobody that seems to fit with our family dynamic. The next closest shelter is an hour away and has limited hours, so we haven't had the opportunity to go yet due to our crazy work schedules. I have reached out to a few out of my area rescues on PetFinder, but no luck. A few of the dogs have been adopted, and I'm so happy for them! However, many of the requests I have sent went unanswered, and one even rudely responded that there was no way they would adopt a dog to me because they couldn't do a home check or drop in to see how the dog was adjusting. I find that a little crazy - I have adopted both of my dogs, have been a vet tech and have been around animals all my life. I can provide references from our current vet and from the woman who runs the shelter where we adopted our little one and I offered to do so. Regardless, some of these rescues are so particular that they won't even consider a situation that is a little out of the norm. I find that very sad. There are so many abandoned animals that need homes. Not only that, but I could just go to a puppy mill pet store and buy a dog if I felt like it. I could even walk into any county pound and take almost any dog I want, no questions asked. That's how I got my first dog - was in the right place at the right time, and didn't have another dog at home to consider. This time I have to be more careful, as it is hard to assess a dog's personality when they are in such a strange and stressful environment.

If you hear of a dog in the California/Nevada area that you think is amazing, please let me know. I think we would need a friendly, easygoing confident dog to complement our more timid dachshund/chihuahua. He lost a lot of his bravery when our sweet girl passed, and another fearful dog would probably just create an even more anxious situation. I am also looking for a dog with some more stamina to run and hike with, as my little one can't handle more than a couple miles. I am open to ages from puppyhood to young adult - my heart breaks for the older dogs in the pound that will likely spend their last few days alone in a cage, but I can't intentionally put my little one through another loss. Last, we don't have a yard so a more medium sized dog would fit into our lifestyle better.

In the meantime, I think I am going to try to volunteer to walk the dogs at my local shelter, and maybe even sign up to foster. Maybe that's how I will save my next family member. I will also use this time to teach little one to do more silly stuff like this! Enjoy the cuteness:

video

2 comments:

  1. Hoping that you find another dog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely keep my eyes and ears open.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!