Monday, June 17, 2013

Running (Or Lack Thereof)

Anyone who knows me or has been reading this blog for any length of time, knows that I'm a runner. Or more specifically, I used to be a runner.

First, I subjected myself to several IVF's, killing any running plans I had at the time. Then I was pregnant. Shortly after I miscarried, I moved to the mountains. Cue lack of oxygen induced wheezing and bone breaking ice. I've run a bit here and there, but not really anything to write home about. I did spend a lot of time last summer hiking and biking and walking, but aside from doing a sprint triathlon and a half-marathon practically off the couch, I haven't signed up for a single distance event. I certainly haven't trained for one either!

This year, some running buds invited me to join their Tahoe Ragnar Trail team and having had Ragnar envy ever since my witch of a boss at the time wouldn't let me join my co-worker's team, I jumped at the chance!



Just one little problem:



This little shit won't run, unless we are running back to the house.




I did find a little runner in this guy, amazingly enough! However, he's only good for short distances.

Which brings me to my problem - getting my training in when I have a puppy that needs to be worn out at a slow speed over lots of time. Last night I walked him for about 45 minutes, then dropped him off at home so I could run 3.5 miles. That was a mistake. I came home, blissfully tired and relaxed... and he hadn't gotten enough exercise to not be a terror.

So, I'm still figuring it out. I'm not as worried about the 17 miles over 24 hours that I will face at the Ragnar event, but I would like to train for a marathon this fall, specifically, the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco. I'm not sure I got in, and I'm certainly not sure how I am going to afford the trip itself, but I'm itching to do another full. Now I have to figure out how to get my miles in. My guess is by being more disciplined. Like, waking up hours before my husband on weekends to run by myself kind of discipline. I've done it before, so I know I can. However, will I be able to also walk these guys the additional 2-3 hours that they usually require?

One more thing to consider - I'm hiking to the top of Mount Whitney on September 24. That's going to be a marathon in itself, and I'm not sure the dogs can handle those training hikes. I guess we'll see about that!

With the time I spend trying to run and hike when not managing a puppy, I don't have much chance to do anything else workout-wise. No push ups or sit ups, especially since those moves practically send a written invitation for dogs to come lick my face and jump on top of me (hey, additional resistance!). It's hard to follow a workout DVD when every 30 seconds you are grabbing a sock out of a little mouth or breaking up an altercation over a bully stick. I may be getting skinnier, but I'm certainly not getting more toned.

That being said, there is nothing like getting a puppy to force you to exercise! My lab was 17 years old - way past running and hiking - and my little dog is eight and lazy. There was absolutely no need to walk with them. Now that we have a puppy, regardless of his lazy leanings, you can tell he needs the exercise. Before puppy, I thought 10,000 steps a day was an accomplishment. After puppy, 10,000 steps a day is the minimum I need to get in order to keep my house intact. 12,000 - 15,000 is not unheard of and often preferred. There is nothing more peaceful than wearing that pup out and seeing him pass out on his bed. I can actually get something done!

3 comments:

  1. You should have posted a cuteness alert. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you are thinking of training for another full and hiking Mt. Whitney! I am really determined to do both within the next year. I am considering LA marathon 2014. I am not sure when I will do Whitney yet, but I am pretty eager.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!