Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Feeding my Body

At the urging of my mother, who has gotten the brunt of my complaining about my RMR test results, I saw a nutritionist today. A little more money out of my FSA spending account, and it couldn't hurt, right?

When she first suggested it, my immediate reaction was "There aren't any nutritionists in my small town!" Then I remembered I had met one at a Young Professionals event. When I met her and talked about what she does, I was intrigued, but when I looked her up online, I was a little hesitant to contact her. Why? Because on her blog she discusses fertility and hints at religion. I did not want to be judged for my multiple IVF's and inability to get pregnant.

I went in today planning on avoiding the whole subject, but as a thorough practitioner that understands health issues can come from many different sources including nutrition, we got into all of it. One of the questions was to list all the drugs you have ever taken - hello, IVF! She was actually very understanding. I was glad I didn't get any judgy feeling from her. Once we talked about that, she talked about healthy fats including saturated fats and cholesterol were the building blocks of the sex hormones and the key to healthier sexual function and reproductive health. And it didn't feel preachy at all, thank goodness!

She wants me to eat a lot more fat. In fact, she is recommending 40% of my diet to be healthy fat. Grass fed butter, nuts, avocados, whole milk products, as little processed and artificial as possible. The other part equally split between protein and carbs. She feels that once my body gets back on track and balanced, the weight will start to melt off. She also said that toxins - everything from pesticides to artificial sweetener to preservatives - are usually what keeps your body holding on to fat even when you are cutting calories.

She is going to start me slow, probably before lowering the guillotine and making cut out gluten (UGH), so for now my only instructions are:

40% Fat, 30% Protein, 30 Carbohydrates, coming mostly from veggies and fruit

No artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, or soy

No carbs for breakfast! Only protein and fat. Apparently I can "cheat" by boiling a bunch of eggs and eating those

No artificial sweeteners. If I want to drink coffee or tea, I can use raw honey or stevia, and only half and half or whole cream.

No more fat-free or reduced fat anything

Three times a day, and then also whenever I feel a craving, I need to eat a spoonful of coconut butter

I need to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water. For every non-water drink I have (tea, coffee, wine, etc.) I need to add another 12 ounces

Last, she gave me two supplements. They are just to support my digestion, liver and gall bladder when embarking on this new way of eating. Eventually my body will get the memo and start doing it by itself. They are both from the Biotics Research Corporation - One is called Hydro-zyme and the other is called Beta-TCP.

She won't make me count calories because she feels that if I'm eating the rights things, I will lose weight based on my body functioning better and my belly to brain connection getting more accurate as in my hunger and satiety cues will be clearer. She mentioned my years on birth control pills as one of the reasons I don't seem to have the "I'm full" switch working correctly, but I can remember eating a shit ton as a kid so maybe that's not my only problem. Anyway, I will be counting calories ONLY to ensure I am eating enough. Something tells me this won't be an issue.

Anyway, DietBets end this weekend, and my follow up appointment is in three weeks. Let's see what happens!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm excited to hear about how you feel after you incorporate the eating habits she suggests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting - please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Ananda! I'm very interested in seeing how this works. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my hubs and I started the mediterranean diet it was a huge step up in fat intake but my hunger and junk food cravings disappeared for the most part. I think shes on to something

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting! Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!