Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Repairing a Metabolism

Well, apparently I've done it. I've gone and fucked up my metabolism.

I'be been following Weight Watchers the same as I did when I first lost my weight, so why wasn't it coming off the same way? I know I'm a few years older, but come on! I chalked it up to the program changing and pushed on.

A couple weeks ago I found out I had to drain my FSA account by the end of the month. Long story. Anyway, I had started reading about Eat More To Weigh Less. As I got closer and closer to goal, I found it kept getting harder to lose. So I thought that using my money to get my metabolism tested might be a good idea and get me the information I needed in order to continue to improve my body composition.

So I went in for the test. Took off an ENTIRE DAY from exercise, dealt with my dogs meltdowns due to no walks, and didn't eat the whole morning leading up to my test.

My results? 944 calories a day at rest. It should be at least 1500.

WTF!!!???

I know I have been eating low calories for six months or so, but never under 1200 and often well over. And for at least 3-4 months before that, I wasn't restricting my calories at all. I'm currently in talks with the office that did the test to see if it could have been a mistake, since it was almost 40% less than normal.

That being said, I have some DietBet's ending this week and will start a metabolism reset this Saturday. I'm not looking forward to gaining weight and I will be bummed if I gain a bunch, but at the same time I know I need to let my body fix itself.

The other thing that bums me out is that I should be lifting more weight and doing less cardio. Well, I'm just now coming off a runner's high from my trail relay and I want to sign up for a marathon. I'm not sure how that will work just yet.

6 comments:

  1. That is bad mine is 1742 for resting. I have a scale at home so I just checked all my stats on it. It shows percentage of fat, water, kcal and so on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your scale is probably doing a formula based on height, weight, % body fat. The test I did measure my carbon dioxide output to estimate the number of calories my body consumes at rest.

      Delete
  2. Maybe I should seek out these tests. I have been working out consistently without any weight change. No weight loss. No weight gain. I feel better on the inside and the endorphins are helping my mood but yah nothing else. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne - look at my most recent post. I went to see a nutritionist and not only am I not eating enough calories, she feels that low fat and low cal is also the problem. My percentage of fat needs to come up to 40%

      Delete
  3. Is it really possible to screw up your metabolism? I mean, I know you can improve it somewhat with exercise, but can you really make it worse, or could there be something else going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did a google search and found a lot of sources - it usually come from eating a minimum of calories and working out. I encourage you to look at the eat More 2 Weigh Less website! Lots of good info there. My nutritionist also agreed with me but instead of just upping my cals, I also am going to eat specific foods to support my body and get it to stabilize again.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!