Friday, August 2, 2013

Freedom to Eat

Ok, in a lot of ways I know this new way of eating will be somewhat restrictive. Not because there isn't a ton of food that I am allowed to eat, but the percentage of GMO/Processed/Hormoned and otherwise adulterated food is a much larger percentage of our food supply than wholesome, natural food. Really sad when you think about it. Not just for me, for everyone!

But I'm choosing to look at this like FREEDOM. I love food and I am slightly addicted to magazines that feature food: Sunset, Martha Stewart, Bon Appetit, Food Network, etc. Most of the time, I would look at a recipe and decide that I either couldn't make it, or I had to save it for a "special" occasion where I would let myself "be a pig" and eat.
Now, as long as the recipe is made with Real Food, I no longer have these restrictions. A Ceasar dressing that uses a 3/4 CUP of olive oil? No problem! A lemon rosemary chicken recipe that creates the most crispy delectable skin ever?  I'm all over it. Yogurt Panna Cotta with walnuts and honey? Check! Kabocha and chicken red curry? Drool.

There are plenty of recipes that might use processed food as an ingredient. If it's something simple that I can substitue, such as organic whole grain flour in place of all-purpose, or refined sugar that I can use maple or honey instead, I'm good! If it's a "semi-homemade" recipe that is a big mixture of several processed food items, no thanks!

I'm also excited at the prospect of making more at home - going back to make more bread so that it doens't have the preservatives in it, making my own spice mixes so that I can forego the msg and weird yeast protein additives, making my own salad dressing and mayo to avoid all the random crap they put in those items, maybe even canning and pickling so that I can take advantage of the summer and fall harvests.

So I am looking forward to this new chapter of not trying to lose weight and just eating natural, delicious food. I can't wait until tomorrow morning when I change my weight loss goal to "0" and see my calorie goal just shoot up!

5 comments:

  1. I love making my own food. It really does help the waistline too since I burn calories making it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very, very rarely eat processed, pre-made food, and I love, love, LOVE to cook... and EAT!!! I rarely cook by recipes, but when I do, I always substitute the processed stuff for the real deal. If it calls for a jar of spaghetti sauce, I sub in my own homemade sauce. Garlic salt- I use some garlic, and salt (duh!). It's the best way in the world to cook and eat. ENJOY!!!

    BTW... this post totally made me hungry!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I cook a lot more from scratch as a vegan, and at first it was cumbersome, but now I like the creativity and challenge of veganizing a dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!