Monday, September 23, 2013

Hiking Fuel

A little side note before I get into my latest rant. Pastured and Pasteurized are two similar words that mean huge differences in your health. Odd, don't you think?

So, I don't really know what to call this way of eating I have embarked upon. Some might call it GAPS, it's certainly not Paleo, but it's not unlike Paleo. Given the popularity of Paleo, you would think that a Google search for Paleo hiking foods would bring up all kinds of great suggestions. Well, maybe you wouldn't, I but I sure as shit did.

Not so much.

Don't even try to good GAPS hiking food, since hiking and mountaineering terminology also includes gaps.

I'm embarking on a ridiculous stunt adventure tomorrow, and I need food. We'll see how my body handles 14.5K feet of elevation, but most discussions on the topic discuss the need for food as well as the apparent distaste for food that most feel at or above 12,000 feet. Therefore you need to pack your favorite foods! Not just things you eat regularly, or even moderately like. Something you kinda like at home, they say, is downright inedible at 12,000 feet. What are the popular suggestions? Peanut butter cups, candy bars, cookies, etc. etc. etc.

Which leads me to my dilemma: Did you know that just about EVERY piece of commercial chocolate manufactured is made with soy lecithin? Which means I CAN'T HAVE IT. I also can't have granola bars or Clif Shot Bloks, or anything else I like to eat when traveling 20+ miles on foot.

Here is what I packed: Soaked almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and squash seeds. Organic coconut shreds and organic, soy free, vegan chocolate chips. A jar of peanut butter, dried figs, and coconut water. I hope these things do the trick as I watch my hubby drink Gatorade and eat snickers and granola bars, because I'm sure he would share and I'M BEING REALLY GOOD, so I don't want to fall off the wagon.

The plan is to start at 4:00 am. I'm afraid we might not finish until 8:00 pm. Gah.

1 comment:

  1. Your food all sounds good! Good luck on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!