Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Hypothyroid

Another nutrition appointment.

Today we talked about my thyroid. You see, Sunday I watched a presentation about healing your thyroid with real food at the Real Food Con. I was interested because I have been diagnosed with an under active thyroid, in addition to being cold often and of course that disaster of an RMR test which is the whole reason I started seeing my nutritionist in the first place.

Very interesting. A basal body temperature of less than 97.4 indicates a low functioning thyroid. During the day it should be much  higher - Do you know that ideal is 98.6? Yeah, I know that's what they've always said but I never believed them. I so wish I had known this years ago. I've seen at least two nutritionists in the past, both while I was still trying to get pregnant. I was charting my basal body temperature and could have told anyone how low it was! 

Anyway, my temp yesterday morning was 96.99. Bummer. So we talked about it. It takes about 90 days for all hour cells to regenerate, so it could take that long for my body to react. Maybe longer! My temp was 97.23 today. Wah.

Anyway, so we keep doing what we're doing. I have a feeling all those "warming" foods my acupuncturist used to tell me about, and probably those herbs he tried to give me would have helped. Why am I so resistant? Anyway, so we'll keep on with the liver detox and the thyroid and adrenal support. Hopefully I will see a difference in another 10 weeks. Ai yai yai!

I'm also going to stay grain free for a while - my allergies have been so much better without grain. I already know wheat causes a major attack, but I had some allergy issues as well as bloating when I ate properly prepared quinoa last week. I guess I have to say I'm feeling better without grains. Gluten is also really bad for thyroid, as is soy and Goitrogens. I can have goitrogens cooked, but not raw or even fermented. No cabbage in my immediate future! But unfortunately, no peaches or pears and those were the fruits I have been eating this week. Grrrr. I'm also going to start taking fermented cod liver oil. Yes, I will probably gag. And I'm sure to share it all with you, so you're welcome!

Anyway, back to the presentation. I guess I need to be eating more things from the sea - seaweed, fish, shellfish, sea salt. Coconut oil and butter is good - probably why I'm supposed to eat so much of it? You can also oil up your feet with coconut or sesame oil before bed and put socks on them. Not sure how that works, but it's supposed to help.

I'm so looking forward to fermented cod liver oil.




10 comments:

  1. Question: what are the thyroid friendly foods? I've always had temps on the end (not as low as your probably but low) but my thyroid is always normal.
    Comment: my mom made me take cod liver oil every morning when I was a kid. Its disgusting but its just one swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thyroid has always tested normal as well, but just TSH. T3 and T4 both tested low. And my nutritionist always reminds me that she isn't looking for normal, she's looking for ideal. She apparently knows the magic numbers. Of course this screws with my head because nobody ever thought I had a thyroid issue, so nothing was ever corrected during my IVF's. :/ Here is a recap of the presentation in case you're interested: http://realfoodforager.com/using-real-food-to-heal-the-thyroid/. Iodine, copper and iron rich foods help the thyroid, omega 3 fatty acids, anything that helps with inflammation. I'm hoping for a cod liver oil miracle because I want to be normal already!

      Delete
  2. Coconut oil is apparently a miracle food - I keep hearing about it helping everything! Good luck treating your thyroid with food. Is it the iodine in the sea food that is helpful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Eat all the coconuts! And thank you :) Yes, iodine is very, very important and something I wasn't getting enough of since I started eating kosher salt years ago. I have now switched to sea salt so fingers crossed! I guess I'll be getting some seaweed flakes and of course the cod liver oil ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I bookmarked the link. Today I had to double my thyroid medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Well, as I see it, every little bit helps, right? Good luck!!

      Delete
  4. Hey! I'm glad I found you! I have the same problem. I went through 2 doctors and only on the third did they test my thyroid. Fixing that with medication (eltroxin) and having a laparoscopy removing a fibroid and endometriosis helped me get pregnant. The meds have made a huge difference in that I no longer feel weak. I am also taking iodine supplements (kelp) which help. And continue with the fish oils. I was interested to read about the temp thing because I always have been cold and got too frustrated tracking temps when trying to conceive. I assumed the thermometer was defective! Please stop by my blog I did write a post once on this and got some good comments too. Onestepatatime.co.za

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I wish more people knew about the temp thing - I think it could help a lot of people. Someday there will be more proactive RE's out there to promote a more holistic approach to fertility. :)

      Delete
  5. Oy. I'm still on the "trying for a baby" wagon, but I've been seeing an acupuncturist for a few months now, and even though my thyroid has always tested well within normal ranges, my temps are still super low. I'm currently on the warming foods diet, too, and supplementing my adrenals to help, but all of this is so very interesting! Thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one who's "normal, but not ideal". ;)

    Keep it up, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone! You're never alone, don't ever forget that :) From that presentation, it did seem like it can be reversed and cured. I am hopeful, and I know my nutritionist is hopeful as well. So I'm hopeful for you too! Good luck, I'll be following your progress and rooting for you!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!