Thursday, October 31, 2013

IVF Clinical Trial, and How I Know I'm Still Not There

With fame, comes heartache. Of course, I use the term "fame" with a grain of salt. I do understand that being featured by Fertility Authority might get me some additional readership, but I'm sure I'm not getting a book or movie deal anytime soon.

Nevertheless, I have been contacted by a drug company doing an IVF clinical trial.

Sadly, my initial reaction to seeing the email was of hope. Pure hope. I thought they reached out to me because they had the miracle drug, the one that would work for me, and they wanted me to be the first guinea pig. And as I read the email, even though there was nothing in the email that asked me to participate, I felt this drug was meant for me: they are looking for women that have undergone three unsuccessful IVF cycles.

I clicked through to the website, and was immediately faced with reality - I am too old. And at that realization, I have to admit I cried. Ugly cried. In that 90 seconds it took to read the email and click over to the study website, I had already committed to a few weeks of medical leave to make it happen. I had hoped that this miracle breakthrough could rectify my ovaries lack of cooperation. I had hoped that this would be the opportunity my heart was looking for. 

Apparently, my heart isn't embracing child free after all.

Regardless, they asked me to share this clinical trial with other infertile women, and I am more than happy to. I hope that this helps other women conceive a baby that they felt they may never meet.

In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Research Study 

The Thrive-IVF Research Study is currently seeking participants at approximately 15-20 clinical research sites in major metropolitan areas across the US. The study is evaluating the efficacy, safety and tolerability of NT100, an investigational medicine, in women who have had repeated IVF failures despite having good-quality embryos.

NT100 is a novel treatment that is being evaluated to determine if it improves your chances of getting pregnant after IVF. For more information about NT100, visit www.noratherapeutics.com.

You may be eligible for the Thrive-IVF Research Study if you:

* Are between 21 and 38 years of age

* Have had 3 or more failed IVF cycles that included transfer of good-quality embryos (at least 2 of these involving the transfer of fresh embryos)

Qualified participants will receive study-related tests and procedures at no cost, including:

* An IVF cycle, including procedures and medications

* Study medication

If you are interested in learning more about the Thrive-IVF study, please visit www.ivfresearchstudy.com.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I am so sorry that you had to go that process of hope and disappointment again. It's amazing how easily we fall into that cycle. It is so noble of you to still be so willing to share the information. I wish I could help your heart, and mine, fall into embracing being childfree without the heartache and guilt that never seems to completely go away. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just takes time, right? It seems to get better so someday we should be relatively heartbreak free. Xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. ((hugs))
    If I can get down to the magic BMI # of 35 I am going to look into it. They haven't started enrolling people for the Boston site yet but if we're still not pregnant when they do, I will be there with bells on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck!! I have my fingers crossed for you

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!