Friday, October 18, 2013

Making Hard Cider - Part 2: The Process

In case you missed it, Part 1 of Making Hard Cider

So, hubby and I had two different missions. His was to make an amazing cider while spending a good amount of money. Mine was to make hard cider from scraps and "found" ingredients. 

So, for my cider, I first peeled the apples I was going to use in my apple butter and applesauce.


I collected the peels and cores in a food safe bucket.


Once I was done collecting peels, I poured boiling water over them and let them sit for 3-4 days to start the fermentation process with the wild yeast naturally found on the apple peels. After it starts to bubble and gives of a yummy, boozy smell (I might be a boozer...), it's time to sterilize your bottle and vapor locks and strain the liquid out!






















In the meantime, Husband started pasteurizing his fresh pressed cider. He wanted to control the yeast that would do the fermentation, so he had to kill off the wild yeast first so he could then add his purchased yeast. LOL




I get it, you never know how your hard cider will turn out if you 're using wild yeast, but I still laugh a little at him. I guess he's the one that will laugh if mine is really crappy. LOL


Once we pasteurized his cider and sterilized the carboy and vapor locks, we poured the cooled cider in. We also bloomed his yeast in warm cider with sugar. Apparently white sugar (as much as I hate it in it's GMO glory) is all fermentable, so shouldn't add sweetness to the end product.


In the meantime, my cider projects from scraps are doing well. Bubbling and being all awesome and stuff.


We let mine ferment for almost three weeks, and his just until it stopped bubbling like crazy, which was about 2 weeks, maybe 2.5.

Stay tuned for Part Three!

This post is linked to Old Fashioned Friday!



2 comments:

  1. Mmmm a competition.... My husband "the brewer" would insist on doing it your husbands way but Im rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneak peek - we already tasted them once! They are currently going through secondary fermentation, but mine was very light tasting, but still apple-ly with a touch of alcohol, and his has a very strong flavor. Both yeasts seemed to work just fine :)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!