Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Making Hard Cider - Part One

I took the husband apple picking at the coolest little organic farm about an hour away. I had this great idea I was going to make apple butter and then hard cider with the peels. When we got there, he saw an apple press and asked the owner how he got to use it. Apparently it's a 100 pounds of apples minimum at $0.50 a pound. Less than 100 pounds is $1.50 a pound. At that moment, the husband decided he was pressing apples for his own cider.


Happy Chickens



Fall colors have come to the apple trees



What kind of bug is this?? O.o

Apparently it takes less time that you think to pick 100 pounds of apples. We actually only had to pick about 80 pounds, because the owner had some granny smith's in cold storage (since the trees are done producing that variety). That put us well over the 100 pound mark, so we got to take some home to eat and make apple butter, applesauce, and my own cider project.


First the apples need to be rinsed, and then put into the grinder.



Then they are pressed to release the juice. The oxidation of the apples is what causes the juice to be brown. It was delicious nevertheless.




We ended up with about four gallons of fresh, unpasteurized cider. The owner of the farm brought us glasses so we could all try it right then and there. It was delish. It's almost a shame to make alcoholic! I have a mason jar in the freezer though, maybe I'll break that out to enjoy over Halloween. It's hilarious, my husband wants to go back for more! I asked him what we would do with another 4 gallons of cider. I guess it's times like these when we really need to get a freezer!


To be continued - hard cider two ways, applesauce, apple butter and apple pie, oh my!

4 comments:

  1. How is apple cider made that way any different from apple juice? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally speaking, cider is the unfiltered juice from the apple, while apple juice is filtered to make it clear. Cider is usually cloudy. Now that being said, the grocery stores do sell clear apple "cider" but I don't know how they differentiate between juice and cider there because they look the same to me. I think you can take the apple cider, filter it to remove the particles that cause the cloudiness, and get apple juice. Both cider and juice can be pasteurized for long term shelf life. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Or you can just turn it all into wine like my parents did with the apples!

      Delete
  2. I cant wait to see how this turns out, my husband likes to make all things alcohol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!