Monday, October 14, 2013

My Life is Over

Over!

I think I'm allergic to gluten and/or wheat.

I'll let that sink in. Me, the baker. The lover of bread, cupcakes and all that is floury. WHEAT. WTF Universe?

I never thought that I would be here. You know those people who eat healthy for a few months, go out and eat a cheeseburger, and then talk about what a mistake that was because they have indigestion/diarrhea/etc.? That was NEVER me. I can eat healthy for a year and then go eat a gut bomb and not notice the difference. BUT I've also never been grain free before.

So, last weekend I went to an Oktoberfest event. I drank beer, ate bread, baked a pie for the competition and of course tasted the crust. Then my allergies went haywire. I almost felt like I was getting sick, except I didn't have the aches and other symptoms that usually goes along with having a cold so I chalked it up to allergies and took some Benadryl.

Then I had my nutritionist appointment, where I had my AHA! moment. The gluten!! We discussed grains and how I should be preparing them properly, adding them in slowly, and of course, only after I had recovered from my gluten induced allergy extravaganza.

Fast forward to this weekend - it was the last day for pie at Rock Creek. Of course I'm going to have some pie, try some crust, and evaluate their pie-worthiness to my own. So when my jerk of a husband suggested pizza for dinner the night before, how could it hurt, right? I was going to be eating wheat again in 12 hours, what's a little extra tonight?

O.M.G. I thought I was going to DIE. It was like the flu came to wear me down so that every other virus in the area would have it's own chance to kick my ass. Raw nose, sore throat, coughing, phlem, itchy eyes. You name it, my body was experiencing it. DING DING DING! Muthereffing gluten.

Of course it could have also been the GMO whatevers, crappy ass pasteurized cheese, and corn fed pepperoni. But still!

So here I am back at ground zero. I need to get back to normal before I can even think about testing a different, properly prepared grain, much less trying some properly prepared wheat. I guess I can try that again, much MUCH later. Please universe, please let me someday eat normal pie crust again. I will make it with soaked organic flour and grassfed lard, I promise!

In the meantime, FML. Again.

8 comments:

  1. OH! I can't even imagine! I vowed never to go wheat free because the thought of discovering something like this would crush me. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope properly prepared grains will allow you the opportunity to eat pie crust again....among other tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really hard, but I can' help but think that this contributed to my infertility. I'm glad I know now before I get too old!

      Delete
  2. I'm a baker, and I found out about 5 years ago I'm gluten intolerant. It's really ok. I still bake, with a much greater understanding of my ingredients, and people can't tell the stuff I make is gluten free.

    Restaurant bread is the only thing I miss - everything else I can help you figure out the best substitute for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get over it, but I love the smell of yeast, the texture of gluten, etc. LOL Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
    2. Ive started using zanthan gum as a gluten replacement in breads. It's been very successful.

      Delete
  3. I've been wheat free for years now. I can eat gluten, but not wheat. I just started to learn and love baking this year (post miscarriage actually. It was what I turned to. And I am so glad to have discovered this new passion)

    So, to LEARN to bake with gluten free and wheat free products is a challenge. But I'm doing well and you, with all your baking experience, will be fine!! It is fun to try out new flours and discover how they work. I just baked my first pie a few weeks ago after learning how to do blind baking. It was really successful. I can still improve but it was a great first effort!!

    If you would like me to direct to some good sites I've found, I'd be happy to do so.

    Oh, and I've done a pizza base from a gluten free packet mix, but I think it will be a lot better when I do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I wonder if that's because most wheat is now GMO? Have you tried Organic? It might not even be worth it at this point. I get that for sure. I'm slowly figuring it out. A lot of gluten free websites encourage other flours, but I'm still grain free for now so been looking at Paleo and grain free specific sites. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
    2. I think a gluten/wheat/grain allergy would end my life too... WHAT ABOUT BEER???? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!! I am praying for you....

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!