Monday, November 4, 2013

Beet Pomegranate Salad

What do you do when you have an abundance of pomegranates?


Since I had some roasted beets sitting in the fridge, I thought a beet and pomegranate salad might be nice. Did you also know just how good beets are for you? 

On a side note, I think my stomach acid might be back up to par - see #5! My pee has stayed yellow, even though it has been majorly pink from beets in the past. YEARS in the past. Makes me sad to know how long I have been living with less than perfect health without  knowing it!

Beet and Pomegranate Salad

6 beets, roasted and peeled, cut into wedges
Seeds from one large pomegranate
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup walnut pieces
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil
Sea salt

Mix beets and pomegranate seeds together in a bowl. Crumble in goat cheese, and walnut pieces, mix well. Add a splash of red wine vinegar and drizzle olive oil liberally, mix to coat. Add salt to taste. Enjoy!

I also shared this post on Real Food Forager's Fat Tuesday and the Let's Get Real Blog Hop! Some great links on both those blog hops - check it out!



4 comments:

  1. Confession: I have never tried anything pomegranate (seeds, juice etc). I think all the hype associated with them kinda turned me off. I do love beets though, especially golden beets so I might have to give this a try. Just dont tell anyone I caved to the pomegranate pressure, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hipster comment coming - been eating pomegranates since I was a little kid (and I'm old so that was long before the hype). Your secret is safe with me though :)

      Delete
  2. I've never had an abundance of pomegranates, but I sure wish I did. Beets and pomegranates sounds like a fantastic combination. I just need to figure out how to cut up a pomegranate. I've bought them a few times, but have no idea what to do with it. Thanks for sharing this with our Let's Get Real readers. They probably already know how to cut that thing up. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should post something about this! Really, you want to make a couple small cuts in the flower end of the pomegranate and then use your fingers to pull it apart. If you fill the sink or a large bowl with water, you can do it under water so you don't get red juice everywhere! Fingers are the best for separating the seeds from the white pith, and then the pith will float so you can scoop most of it out. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!