Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sautéed Artichokes

I love artichokes - I have since I was a kid. All sizes, and all manner of preparation. I usually just boil them, and sometimes we grill them to add some smokiness. I'll eat them with lemon butter, chipotle mayonnaise, or sometimes naked. Tonight I thought I could sauté them because I had some small ones.

You see, most people are used to large artichokes. Many will seek the largest ones out! I happen to love the small ones. The smaller, the better. The chokes don't choke, the thorns haven't developed yet. Even the leaves are tender and many can be eaten whole. This recipe needs the smallest artichokes you can find. If they aren't that small, you can still make the recipe but know that the outermost leaves will have to be eaten separately like a larger artichoke. To make things easier, you don't need to make a dipping sauce, since these artichokes soak up all the delicious flavors from the other ingredients.

This recipe has healthy fat from the butter, antioxidant properties of garlic, vitamin C from the lemon, protein and minerals from the broth, and vitamins, minerals and fiber from the artichokes in a delicious package. This is the perfect recipe to demonstrate how yummy real food can be.

Sautéed Artichokes

8 miniature artichokes
5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine (you can use less, I just love garlic!)
3 tablespoons pastured butter
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Zest and juice from one organic lemon (I say organic because you are using the zest!)
Bone broth of your choice

Prepare artichokes by peeling off the tough outer leaves, cutting off the tops and cutting them into quarters. Melt butter in pan and add garlic, red pepper flakes and lemon zest, sauteing over medium heat until translucent. Add artichoke pieces and toss to cover. Sauté for a few minutes, and then add lemon juice and about 1/2 cup broth. Simmer, covered, until artichokes are fork tender, adding broth as needed. When artichokes are done, simmer uncovered to reduce sauce.


YUM!

Come check this recipe and a whole bunch of other great posts at this week's Let's Get Real Bloghop!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping over from Let's Get Real. I love artichokes and don't eat them enough. Thanks for sharing a new, easy, and healthy way to prepare them. I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artichokes. You have found another thing I don't cook. You are really educating me on some foods that I should be including in my diet. Thanks so much for sharing this with our Let's Get Real readers. The lemon and red pepper sound like a great zesty combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like them! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love ordering artichoke out at restaurants but I've never made it at home. This recipe looks really yummy. Thanks so much for sharing on our Let's Get Real blog hop!.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!