Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sweet Potato Au Gratin



Ok, I know it's not a classic au gratin, but I saw a sweet potato au gratin on a restaurants Thanksgiving menu and had to copy it. That was 11 years ago. Of course I made it with sweetened condensed milk, which is totally off the table this year, but it's also my husbands favorite dish (might have been the reason he married me!). So I had to figure out a way.

Then it came to me - coconut milk! It might be even better than the original because coconut and sweet potatoes just sound amazing to me!

Sweet Potato Au Gratin

3-4 sweet potatoes or yams
1 can coconut milk or coconut cream (I used coconut cream to make it even more decadent
4 tablespoons pastured butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus extra for sprinkling) 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Cut the ends off of the sweet potatoes and slice thinly and evenly. I was excited because I got to use my new food processor!


After the sweet potatoes are sliced, I laid them into a pan like scalloped potatoes, and sprinkled each layer with cinnamon.


After I finished layering the sweet potatoes, I got out my can of trusty coconut cream.


I emptied the can into a pan, added butter, cinnamon, ginger and maple syrup, and heated to a simmer. Once the butter was melted and the coconut cream was more liquid than cream, I poured over the layered sweet potatoes, covered with foil, and baked at 350 degrees until sweet potatoes are soft and the au gratin is bubbling, about 90 minutes. You can do this a few days in advance (like I did) and then just reheat in the oven on Thanksgiving day.

Sorry, I don't have a photo of the final product, because I haven't finished it yet! But I wanted to post this before Thanksgiving, in case anyone was wondering what to do with their sweet potatoes.

My husband also insists on it being covered in marshmallow. Of course, that means I need to make my own. I'm using this recipe, but instead of actually making marshmallows, I'm going to pipe it out on top of the casserole and then put under the broiler for a few minutes to brown it a bit.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. I am so making this! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I agree with catwoman...I am soo making this

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!