Sunday, January 5, 2014

And Another Thing

I'm really trying to fix our finances. Hopefully, I can actually keep H on board with it this time.

Aside from my mortgage in our old place of residence and our rent in our current apartment, our only bills are groceries, cable/entertainment, and anything we want to do for fun. I used to try and keep our grocery bill in the $300/month range but now that I'm eating all healthy and shit, that's next to impossible.

So now my goal is $500 a month, it was originally going to be $600 a month but we bought that side of beef. That cost just under $1000 and I'm hoping it will last about 10 months. I'll be spending about $300 a month on pastured meat, eggs, and dairy that my food co-op orders in about every three weeks. The other $200 (only $50 a week :/) will be for fresh fruits and vegetables, spices, etc. This actually is not going to be easy, especially because everything in the middle of nowhere actually costs more than people living in cities might think. I have a feeling that the costs of the food I buy might seem outrageous to many. It will be interesting to hear some feedback. My local store, Vons, can be very pricey unless you follow the sales, sign up for Just For You, and utilize any coupons available. 

I need to start meal planning as well. My current plan is to do beef two nights a week, two nights of chicken (roast a whole chicken one night and then make chicken soup with the bones and leftover meat the next), one night of baked eggs which will be a quick and easy dinner on Saturdays when I work late. That leaves two nights for leftovers, recipes inspired by sale items, parties, or eating out.

For January, my plan is to do a cupboard/freezer clean out, especially to ease me into budgeting again.

6 comments:

  1. The price of food up North of you in the PNW area is just nuts too. I cringe when I have to buy meat because I swear they are gouging me on the prices I pay. On the East coast I paid $6 for a sandwich but when I moved out West it was $10 for the same sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only known West Coast pricing and I can tell you PNW is about 30% less than here!

      Delete
  2. We spend a ridiculous amount on food. Upwards of $800 per month. Mind you- everything is waaaaay more expensive up here in the frozen north, as everything has to be imported. But eating healthy is terribly expensive. Sometimes I wish I could stay healthy by eating KD all day, every day. I would have a lot more money in my pocket, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I live in a frozen area too - everything is shipped in and we are 300 miles from the closest city. Although I'm going to guess you might be even more remote than I am ;)

      Delete
  3. Have you thought about CSA for veggies and fruits? You don't get to pick but you always have what is in season! (and probably therefore cheaper too).. check this website out! http://www.sierrabounty.org/produce.html Maybe this can help you out! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, but the CSA's here are only during the summer months. I belong to Banner Springs CSA in summer, heard some suspect things about the Sierra bounty one. I'm hoping there will be a year round one coming to Bishop soon! Fingers crossed!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!