Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sooooo Slooooooow

So my average pace per mile has slowed down considerably. And my legs are feeling heavy. I'm so embarassed at how slow I am!

 

I'm trying to figure out why. I think some of it was my move to altitude right after my hiatus in training due to IVF - I had slowed down about 2 minutes per mile. I thought I would naturally regain that speed when I grew some more red blood cells, but I never really did. I've also done a few runs at sea level since, and I think my body is just used to moving slower, if you know what I mean?

 

Another issue is I'm older and heavier. I'm about 20 pounds heavier than my PR Marathon weight, and five years older (can you believe it's been five years?). Obviously, I can't get younger, but I can lose weight, right? Though I'm just a little unsure of how to lose weight any more.

 

I live in a pretty hilly area and I don't really know of many flat trails where I can take my dog off leash. I know hills should make you faster, but I feel like they just make me tired LOL. I should definitely try a flat road run, a track session, or maybe even a one mile challenge to get a baseline. I went back to Couch to 10k, trying to use the intervals as speed training, but I'm still feeling a bit sluggish, even with the extra rest. I've also been slacking on the strength training and the yoga/flexibility which I know could be hurting me.

 

While I can try to blame my diet, I really can't. Yesterday I wondered if I wasn't getting enough carbs to fuel my workouts since I cut out grain and legumes and don't really eat a lot of fruit. However, if anything, I've been getting progressively faster since I reduced my training volume and started focusing on spped, Whole30 or not. I haven't been eating or drinking on my runs because my fuel belt is old and the bottles won't stay put. I also used to do caffeine before my run - usually coffee. However, since caffeine can contribute to adrenal fatigue, I'm a little hesiatant to start again. Maybe I can research different lower caffeine sources.

 

Here is what I'm focusing on:

1. Strength training and flexibility

2. Getting more sleep (i.e. going to bed by 10:00 pm no matter what)

3. Taking hydration and nutrition on my runs (just bought a new fuel belt)

4. Fartleks/Intervals (Hahaha I love that word)

5. Choosing more energetic music? Hahaha but seriously, I found an app called RockMyRun and they are supposed to have playlists set to a specific BPM.

 

Also, I'll do a road run in the next week or so (it's supposed to be snowing here so I might have to wait until after the storm). I'll eventually be leaving the pup at home once I get to the higher miles, so I might as well try it now, at least one day a week. He's gonna be so pissed.


Any other ideas from my seasoned runner readers?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had some brilliant ideas, because I'm experiencing very much the same thing. I had to take three months off due to a combination of injury (shin splints) and illness (influenza and two bouts of pneumonia, all in a six week period). And now I'm just feeling slow and sluggish. I, too, have gained weight, so I'm trying to lose that, and see if it helps a bit. And personally, I think I need to lower my expectations- after three months off, I should just be worried about getting my legs moving again, regardless of speed. It's a blow to the ego, though. Ugh. I'll definitely be stalking this post to see if anyone has any good suggestions. I need all the help I can get! At the very least, you have my sympathies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself! It takes awhile to work your way back up. Cross training (yoga and strength training) + enough rest seem to by the formula for me to increase speed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!