Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Whole30!

I was inspired by some lovely ladies in a Facebook group to try Whole30. If you haven't heard of Whole30, read all about it here!

I had heard about it, and when I noticed that a few of my friends were doing it, I started seriously looking into it. The funny thing is, that with my transition to Real Food, I had already started on this path. But a few things still weren't working:

1. I started to gain weight again
2. My sugar cravings were still very much present
3. I had a sneaky suspicion I might have a dairy intolerance
4. I wondered how non-gluten grains were affecting me

I think the real wake up moment for me was getting a coffee, and putting a crap ton of honey in it, and then still wanting it sweeter. That's pretty much when I realized I had an issue tasting sweets.

So I jumped in with two feet. Read the website, figured out what I could and couldn't eat on the program, perused Pinterest for Whole30 compliant recipes, and made a start date of March 1 which was promptly changed to March 2 (come on, there was still a bottle of wine in the fridge!).

I started posting about it on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, and a friend of mine reached out to tell me she owned the book. Score! She let me borrow it, and I'm so glad she did, because this isn't a book I would have normally bought, but now that I've read it, it makes a whole lot of sense. My medical history, blood sugar issues, liver enzyme issues, belly fat, etc. is all explained in this book. The plan focuses on how we react to food - psychologically and physiologically. And while I like grain, I can honestly saw I know now how my brain and my body react when I eat them.

In short, Whole30 is like a super strict Paleo diet for 30 days. The premise is to remove all potentially reactive foods from your diet completely for 30 days (and sometimes longer) in order to allow your body to heal. After the Whole30 period is finished, then you can start to add things back, one at a time, to see how you react to them. You also only want to add in the foods that you can't imagine giving up permanently, and then you have the opportunity to evaluate them to see if the food is worth the reaction. I already have had this experience, and the reaction was traumatic enough that I honestly don't crave bread any longer. On a side note, I'm pretty sure it's the gluten and not anything else in the wheat, as I was able to tolerate organic sour leavened bread during a test (sour leavening eats up much of the gluten).

Since I started on March 2, I'm now on my 10th day. I'm not going to lie, some of those long, stressful work days were hard. I craved wine, sugar, anything. A cup of herbal tea really didn't hit the spot. But I'm glad I pushed through. I am sleeping better and feeling a bit more energetic (or at least less less lethargic?). I am able to push harder during my runs too, although that might be more of a side effect of going back to shorter runs in order to work on speed. While I love my nutritionist, I can't afford the supplements any longer, but I think Whole30 is going to take me past where the supplements could. It is also forcing(?) me to remove things I was resistant about before, namely dairy and legumes.

Anyway, so far so good! My last day on Whole30 is scheduled for March 31 but we'll see how I feel. I'm pretty adamant that I can start reintroduction on April 1, but I suppose you never know.

5 comments:

  1. I can't get behind the whole "legume are bad" thing. Paleo diet is really down on legumes too but with out their high quality plant based protein most of the world would starve. We don't have the land available to make enough meat to feed everyone. Legumes are the staples of the poor in most cultures and have zero data showing detrimental health effects.... Whew... Sorry... No offense or anything I just really think legumes are getting an unfair rap. Other than that it sounds like a great plan. I wish I had your discipline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I do think legumes are definitely healthier than grains, but I guess one of the things I like about Whole30 is that it's not forever - it's about resetting your body and the reintroducing things slowly to make sure you can tokerate them ok. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will be ablre to eat beans but I'm probably going to have to give up some dairy at the very least. We'll see! I'm sure ill blog about that too LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I should probably cut back on my dairy but its just so delicious... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are doing great, so far! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it is all going well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!