Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Rug Pulled

Yesterday I got word that my Nike Women's Marathon race would no longer be a marathon. Oh, they're still doing a race, but only a half marathon. This may seem really odd, especially to a non-marathoner, but I'm super bummed. Why?

1. My fundraising is/was based on me running a marathon. I know of many people who donated because I was running a full. I also have used the 26.2 miles to garner more money.

2. I've run the Nike half, and it was a total clusterfuck. I swore I would never do it again, that doubling my distance under any conditions was going to be 1000 times better than finishing the Nike half with 20,000 other women pushing and shoving to get their blue box and a photo with the firemen of their choice. I would love to finish in a low stress environment, take my necklace, maybe snap a single photo and then have a chance to cool down. Unfortunately, in the half, you are lucky to cross the finish line before you have to stop.

3. I really had a goal to PR my marathon time. After years of lackluster training, IVF treatments preventing me from running, life changes and weight gain, I just needed a goal. Raising money for LLS made me feel good in the random acts of kindness side, and the training is making me feel better physically. Having a goal is keeping me going.

I'm pretty lost right now. I'm waiting to hear back about if TNT will allow me to transfer my fundraising dollars to LA in the spring. If they don't, I have some decisions to make. I really want to run a marathon in the fall. TNT offered Chicago on 10/12 and Marine Corps the last Sunday of October. Unfortunately, not only will those events cost more than I can afford, they will take more vacation time than I have reserved, and they conflict with my schedule. I'm kinda not sure what I will do if they won't allow me to transfer to LA. I really feel I need to run a marathon in the fall, and no other marathon seems to fit my schedule. I also don't want to support Nike and this race. I know they don't care. I know they have a take it or leave it attitude. As far as I'm concerned, they can GO FUCK THEMSELVES for ignoring those who want to challenge themselves, and pandering to the majority.

Needless to say, I'm PISSED at Nike for this bullshit. This is the Nike Women's MARATHON. But no marathon. BULLSHIT.

4 comments:

  1. That's dumb, what reason did they give for changing it? Its also pretty insulting to women, Nike thinks women cant do it or something? I'm outraged on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's cheaper to do the event as a half, especially since most of the entries are for the half marathon rather than the full. I also think a lot of full entries will switch to the half that day due to lack of training (by opting to take the half route when the full splits away). I'm just bummed.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe they are allowed to do something like that. It's a pretty huge decision that should have been made long before. Did they say why?
    I'm sorry, I would be so frustrated, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nike can do whatever Nike wants. Basically, the attitude Nike gave to TNT/LLS was that everyone wants to do this race so its their way or the highway. I'm just really surprised Nike didn't give TNT more notice. I'm also bummed that there isn't a more local full option. I am really trying to figure out how I could do Chicago (because this would be a good opportunity to do it) but my vacation days are tapped out and it would take at least two.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!