Thursday, June 19, 2014

Coppertone Clearly Sheer Review


As a Bzzagent, I sometimes get to try products for free. However, I have been going through a major hippie phase as any regular reader of mine might already know. I have turned down a lot of products from Bzzagent because they are processed, contain GMO's, have soybean oil in them etc. However, when I was offered the chance to try a bottle of Coppertone Clearly Sheer, I accepted. I still go out and spend time in the sun. Maybe too much time in the sun? Possibly. Which means I do have to don sunblock once in a while.

I don't wear sunscreen daily any longer because of all the chemicals that are in the products I used to use. I mean, who wants to get cancer by trying to prevent cancer? Plus I can use a little more Vitamin D! I regularly use coconut oil though, and that has a natural bit of SPF in it. However, when I am running or hiking outside I need something stronger, and something that isn't going to be greasy or running into my eyes, so I was excited to give the Coppertone Clearly Sheer a try.


I have used it several times now, and the feel is really delicious. Moisturizing, but leaving no residue or greasiness. I used the SPF 30 version and did not get burned at any point. I also wore it when I was very active (read: SWEATING) and did not get any in my eyes, nor did it slide off with sweat.

Now, I was concerned about the ingredients, i.e. chemicals that can harm me over the long run. After Searching the EWG website for the suspect, almost unpronounceable ingredients, here is what I came up with:

Avobenzone - Low hazard
Homosalate - Moderate hazard
Octisalate - Moderate hazard
Octocrylene - Moderate hazard
Dimethicone - Moderate hazard
Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate - Low hazard
Ethylhexyl Isononanoate - Not much information, but doesn't look completely dire
Galactoarabinan - Minimal hazard
Glycerol Stearate - Low hazard
PEG-100 Stearate - Moderate hazard
Silica - Low hazard
Styrene - HIGH HAZARD
Acrylates Copolymer - Low hazard
Benzyl Alcohol - Moderate hazard
Triethanolamine - Moderate hazard
Acrylates/c10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer - Not much information, but doesn't look completely dire
Tocopherol (Vitamin E) - Low hazard
Carbomer - Low hazard
Chlorphenesin - Low hazard
Disodium EDTA - Low hazard
Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate - Low hazard

I did not google ingredients such as water, beeswax, and glycerin.

Overall, I have to say I am somewhat surprised at the lower scores of most of the ingredients. Now if Coppertone could just remove the Styrene, I might actually purchase this sunblock. The only other ingredient that might be suspect is "Fragrance" because it did have the iconic Coppertone scent that is probably laden with Pthalates. Sigh.

My final review is because the feel is so lovely, I would be willing to wear this sunblock on a VERY limited basis when I actually need a higher SPF, but since chemical overload is so prevalent in the world today, I will probably reference this list when choosing my next sunscreen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!