Monday, December 29, 2014

Positive Body Image

My friend Rebecca reminded me that I need to love myself. Which is totally true. While I've never really thought I had an issue with loving myself, I am starting to see how I might be having issues right now.

The problem is all those exercises and tips for promoting positive body image don't really apply to me. I don't have a problem with loving myself, for thinking I am valuable, for having self esteem. I am fine with my flaws, from the gap in my teeth to the mole on my cheek. I don't need to look picture perfect nor do I need to wear makeup every second of the day. The biggest issue I have right now is clothes.

First, my clothes don't fit. None of them, aside from the stretchy pieces, which don't really count. Especially when my underwear creates lumps and rolls underneath them. I have neither the desire nor the motivation to purchase new (bigger) clothes that fit. Not gonna happen.

Second, and while I want to say I can ignore the mass media and what they think is attractive, I can't make myself believe that the clothes and styles I love don't look about 1000 times better on a thinner girl. Maybe I need to be looking at different fashion sites, or perhaps I can quit my job and be a country girl so that the pressure to dress fashionably is diminished. I know there are amazing style icons out there that are plus sized, but for whatever reason, I don't love their outfits. Maybe I haven't found the right inspiration yet.

On a side note, I'm also way out of shape and slow. My running speed has taken a huge hit, and that's part of my diminished self esteem. It's much easier to love your body regardless of size when you can run a marathon. I have less than three months to get myself to a decent pace so time is of the essence.

I don't see excess weight as a potential flaw, I see it as something that simply needs to be remedied. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I know the excess weight I am carrying is unhealthy and should be taken care of for my health, not just my vanity.

Anyway, I do love myself. I am smart, I am talented, I am strong, I am a bad ass mothereffer. There's just a little more to love than I would like.

3 comments:

  1. I just love that last paragraph! Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love that last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear, hear! I've also started eating more healthily these days. I love what you say about loving yourself, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!