Thursday, July 9, 2015

A Mindset

The biggest tragedy of the last 6 years is that I got caught up on what the scale says. The first time I did Weight Watchers in 2006, I did it on my own so the only one who saw my weigh in was me. At that time, I was working out in a circuit training gym, lifting heavy weights regularly. I know I was in great "shape" but was still heavier than I wanted to be. I eventually plateaued and went off Weight Watchers for a time.

When I went back to Weight Watchers, I opted to do meetings, which meant the additional pressure of weighing in with someone. Plus, I did it with a group at work, so we all compared notes. I felt a lot of pressure to get good weight loss numbers, and I noticed when I lifted weights the day before my weigh in, I wouldn't have lost anything due to water retention in my muscles.

So stupid. I feel so dumb to have dropped weight lifting from my exercise routine.

I haven't had a gym membership in so long, so running was my only exercise really. My muscles, especially my upper body muscles, are weak. So I have decided to ditch the scale. I'm going to eat healthier, and lift lots of weight, hoping muscle mass will help me come to a better place with my body image.

4 comments:

  1. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!! Sounds like a great plan! :-) ALL THE BEST! I had been pigging out during my PMS (emotional eating), so I've been trying to eat more fruits/veggies now in compensation for those weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number on the scale is such a hard thing. I love weight lifting too (and hate cardio), And the older I get the more stubborn the weight seems to be.

    It really is all about health. If you're healthy and feel good about yourself, that's what matters. I threw out our scale and I've surrendered to the fact that I'll never be a size 8 (at least not a healthy one). Since I put weight lifting back into my workout I'm looking forward to the gym too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't belong to a gym now due to financial constraints but I work out regularly at home. I mostly work with free weights and do circuit training. I have noticed that my body got fitter, the skin got tighter and my outfits sit better, but the weight stays pretty much the same.

    Scales are evil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never liked the idea of the meetings aspect of Weight Watchers. There's so much societal and internal pressure to lose weight, that the idea of having public weigh-ins just makes me cringe. I too have trialled this on an individual basis, and found that much better. Still, the focus on the number is hard. I always fluctuate so much, even in the course of a day, that numbers are often irrelevant. I'm so glad you're dropping the scales, getting back to the weights (I've been getting into them lately too), to do what you need to to feel better about your body.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!