Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Lifting Journey Continues

Years ago, I used a website called Bodybuilding.com. I stopped using it right around the time I started trying to get knocked up. With my renewed interest in weight lifting, I found the Bodybuilding.com app and I love it. I love that you can select a program (or enter your own, although I haven't had the motivation to do that yet) and apply it to your calendar, and not only will it tell you what you're doing that day, it also lets you track weight, reps, sets and rest time in between. Seriously! I'm in love. Especially because I'm so enamored with technology.

Another fun thing it gives you is a goal setting application. Now, I ended up setting my own goal based on what I'll be happy with, because the options it gives you are all pretty unrealistic (remember, they are catering to bodybuilders and fitness model types). I don't know that I want to be at 16% body fat because that just seems like so much work and no fun at all. However, it was a good learning experience as to what they think different fat percentages look like on women.

There's another reason I love this app/website. Back in 2008 when I was using it, I happened to enter in some data. Some workouts, some measurements. AND THEY ARE STILL THERE! So, some things I learned because Bodybuilding.com is awesome:

1. I am just as strong/stronger than I was 7 years ago. I know this because my weight/reps/sets are still there, and the app gives you all kinds of awesome stats, including a calculated one-rep maximum. I am lifting more weight now than I was in 2008. YEAH.

2. This is corroborated with an estimated lean body mass that is the same or higher than it was in 2008. Which tells me that I need to lose fat more than I need to gain muscle. Which is easier, I'm told.

So anyway, that's my awesome update! I'm still tracking on My Fitness Pal too. Weight seems stagnant, but keeping my fingers crossed. Over the weekend, I prepped a whole bunch of chicken breasts, sweet potatoes and boiled eggs. Following the Whole30 diet guidelines except for the Whole30 part, if that makes any sense. Basically not limiting my diet to paleo, but trying to stick to veggies, protein and fat for meals, protein and fat pre-workout, and protein and starchy veggies post-workout.

3 comments:

  1. Well done! I'm going to check into this app. I was doing great in the gym and then I fell off of the wagon....maybe this will be the motivation I need to get back on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And good luck with the motivation! :) Hope I can help!

      Delete
  2. How encouraging and inspirational to read. WELL DONE to you and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!